Weird,Aldi selling B&D tools now

When I lived in Southern Hampshire it was convenient that a lot of Postcodes start S0. S0D 0FF has been entered on many a shop till without the assistant realising ,though later systems have thrown it up to be invalid. Though I have always had a valid TV licence I hate retailers having to ask things on the behest of the Goverment so anything that needs that address is for my home in Ireland. Donnybrook Dublin 4.

G.Harman

Reply to
oldship

You have to have a Matalan card to shop. It used to cost £1 but I believe it you can now get one free - just fill in a form at customer service the first time you visit. This is no different to any other store loyalty card.

Your name and address will be used to send a mini catalogue or a notification of 'sales' every couple of months. You may be asked if you have an email address by the cashier at the till - my reply to this question is always 'yes' - and nothing else. :)

Reply to
Alan

"There's a sale at Penneys"

Reply to
Andy Hall

Hmmm .... just _why_ a 'tax inspector' would be involved , I shudder to think !

The department is a 'Benefit' office that's reluctantly paying me OUT for all the pennies I've been obliged to pay IN.

Apparently they said that the Left Hand (receivers of Contributions) hadn't informed the Right-Hand (Payers authorises of State Pensions et.al.) that the 'demand' was about to rise and this was causing a back-log in the processing of applications.

[BTW, a swift email to my MP resulted in the Minister's attention falling on the case, and I soon had a (very polite) man-from-the-ministry 'phoning me and sorting everything out. ]

During my conversations with the 'phonier, I pointed out that the 'Family Records Office' held the indices for BDM and a casual glance at the green 'Birth' Indices stacked on the shelves showed the quantity of people born each year and that their staffing should be based on the anticipated demand (65 ~62.5 ~ 60) years hence. B*gger me; they've not only removed the indices off to some warehouse near Poole(?) but they're also making folks work longer to qualify for a State Pension.

If you can't / won't resource to meet the demand ... reduce the demand !

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Thanks for that.

First time I went to Matalan they asked me for my name and address and wouldn't take a made up one - they wanted to see ID.

I thought it was so bloody stupid I never went back.

Reply to
Skipweasel

That's ridiculous.

Do they have some kind of club membership? If so, it might be a planning permission and insurance issue - i.e. commercial vs. retail premises.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I use a postcode that exists but no one is supposed to know. I sometimes wonder what they do with the mail.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've seen the products made by an Italian friend who is an artisan baker in TK Maxx. The shock of seeing such goods on sale there is second only to the shame of having gone in to have a look.

It's a bit like seeing a Versace kitchen on sale at MFI.

Reply to
Steve Firth

AIUI, Yes!

I think that was the original marketing model - in the seventies IIRC cards would only be issued to 'clubs'; company HR departments etc. , and women would pass _the_ card amongst themselves.

Nowadays most Matalan outlets seem to be on out-of-town premises, although the pretence of 'commercial' versus 'retail' outlets seems to have been down-played in recent years as these premises are sometimes cheek-by-jowl with Asda; Argos; etc. etc.

AIUI, Matalan have had changes of management and marketing methods since their early days in Skelmersdale.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Still the same Liverpudlian owner, a Mr Hargreaves. They tend to be good at retail there with the Next founder from there, Littlewoods is there and the top man at Tesco also from there too. Tesco now take £1 in every 10 spent in the UK in all retail. Smaller national chains like Ethel Austin and TJ Hughes are also from that city too. Good buyers and sellers it appears!!!

Aren't Tesco buying Everton FC most of a new stadium? One powerful organisation. Those Tesco Expresses are clearing up the High Streets.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Euthenasia for all who reach retirement age would solve a whole host of problems.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

There are some genuine bargains to be had but you really have to visit often to catch them, and know when to avoid the stuff that only looks like a bargain. There's also a lot of what I would regard as tat.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Or seeing Queenie on UTube

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Given the way they're pushing up the retirement age we'll be dead before we reach it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Statistically, quite a lot of people in some parts of Glasgow already are.

Owain

Reply to
Owain