Weird

Sometime ago I bought from Aldi a craft knife set with numerous blade assortment and shaft handles. Anyway I wanted to use for the first time and opened it up and proceeded to select a blade,piced up the blade and the magnetic strip and several blades came with it.

Now then this magnetic strip is bendable like a piece of soft toffee how can this strip be bendable and at the sametime magnetic?

Reply to
George

Hah! sussed...Magnetic iron filings encased in a rubber strip. :-)

Reply to
George

And you've also discovered the secret to making magnetic toffee!

Reply to
PeterMcC

blade

proceeded to

Look at the seal of your 'fridge door - the hollow rubber moulding has a strip of ferrite loaded rubber pushed in that attracts the body of the appliance - same stuff as your craft knife I would assume. If you scrap a 'fridge always rescue the magnetic strips. A/ they stop children getting stuck inside (yes it's happened) and B/ they are very useful for holding notes, wiring diagrams etc

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Been around for many years...rubber with magnetic particles. My dad worked for a fridge company and we used to use bits of door seal for lots of fun craft things...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was recently faced with the problem of attaching an L-plate to the back of my car. Said plates came with 2 lengths of this stuff attached top and bottom which makes them ideal for quick mounting/demounting on the steel bonnet. However with the large plastic bumper at the back, there's no large enough magnetic area to attach the rear one.

After some head-scratching, I bought a short length of this strip (self-adhesive) from an ebay seller for about a quid and attached it to the (black) plastic bumper - almost invisible, and mates up with the strip on the L plate and has done the job perfectly ever since, allowing instant application and removal. It's brilliant stuff!

David

Reply to
Lobster

Presumably it's like the A4 magnetic paper you can get for printing your own fridge magnets.

Reply to
OG

Just like my fridge magnet business cards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman