Weir repair

Our weir is leaking a small amount of water through it. I would like to attempt to repair this before it gets any worse. I had thought of buying ready-mix in paper sacks, which I would then pierce in a places on one side and put the side in the water against the top side of the weir.

Any thoughts suggestions?

Thanks

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Weirs, steam engines ... does anyone have a watermill in need of repair? This newsgroup is great entertainment.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Why do you want to pierce the sack? Water will soak through the paper and set the ready-mix.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Indeed. Which is probably why I read it as weird repair...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wanted some of it to leach into the crack. My concern is that if I just place the sack against the side of the weir. it would set as a lump against it bu not seal it.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

The classic is of course sand and cement in hessian sacks..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Puddled clay in sandbags; worked for IKB.

Reply to
Onetap

Yep - just used that method for the embankments for my new bridge. Used hessian sandbags as it will presumably rot away and leave me with the sharp sand / fine agregate exposed as I want.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

places

Some idea of scale would be helpful. Are we talking garden water feature or Seven Barrage? Do you have a divertable side channel so you can do a proper repair dry rather than try and bandage what you have under water? AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

It's about 12ft in length across the river Stour. Although we do have a sluice gate it will not lower the river completely to do a dry repair, as i know when we had to repair the mill stream tunnel under our house. The Environment agency got pissed off and turned up at 10 o'clock one night. Apparently we had dried up the river a mile upstream.

So unless I involve them, which might be necessary, I want to try and work under water. The water currently is not going over the top of the weir as the oak sluice leaks enough at the bottom and sides.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

You never know: if you ask their advice on the problem, they might turn up with all the right equipment? Presumably the weir is to their benefit, as stewards of the environment, as well as yours?

J.

Reply to
Another John

Blue Circle or whatever they are called now do a hydraulic cement which sets under water.It`s quick setting and works well.

Reply to
mark

It's about 12ft in length across the river Stour. Although we do have a sluice gate it will not lower the river completely to do a dry repair, as i know when we had to repair the mill stream tunnel under our house. The Environment agency got pissed off and turned up at 10 o'clock one night. Apparently we had dried up the river a mile upstream.

So unless I involve them, which might be necessary, I want to try and work under water. The water currently is not going over the top of the weir as the oak sluice leaks enough at the bottom and sides.

Jonathan

Well the Romans invented / discovered cement that would set under water. IIRC it was mixed with volcanic sand but google will assist. Perhaps it's a case of putting on a swimming face mask and cozzies, and getting down to it with a trowel.

AWEM

(????why is Outlook not putting the ">" before the previous block of text - it sometimes does and sometime doesn't ????)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Install QuoteFix. eg

ARWadsworth

Alan Braggins

Is there an equivalent for Outlook express?

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

It is for outlook express. Outlook is not a news reader. People frequently refer to outlook express as outlook even though they are completely different programs.

Reply to
dennis

There is a certain amount of conflict there. they helped us repair the guides on our sluice gate, but their fishery people would prefer all the man-made stuff on the river to go away. My neighbours would kill me if the weir completely failed as the mill stream going down their gardens would vanish.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Something like?

else you want me to google for you:-)?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I have see the Inland Waterways use scafold poles to form a lattice against which they put a heavy tarpaulin and then pump out behind - could you do something similar to make a dam to allow you to pump out and repair a part of the weir without having to drain?

Reply to
John