weedkiller

Are you sure?

I dug around a bit and came up with Glyphosate and diflufenican. Of course this could be out of date info.

should tell us but my ancient *office 97* won't talk to that site.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No. They removed the potent pre-emergence ones simazine & atrazine a couple of decades since. See:

Basically bad practice meant it was getting all over the place and given that they found it could be carcinogenic in women.

It is pretty well ineffective. The banned stuff was quite good.

Paraquat gets a bad press but it was really a very effective knock down weedkiller. Problem was people used it to commit suicide.

Include MSDS in the search terms and you should get it.

They have to list it in the MSDS in this case:

2-4 D

Amitrole

Diuran

Compared to the original formulation with its persistent preemergence component it is rubbish and you are probably better off with glyphosate.

However, there is more than one product going around with the same brandname of PathClear so no wonder people are confused :(

Glyphosate

Diflufenican

1,2-Benzisothiazolin-3-one

You have to be careful these days too. Some prediluted consumer stuff sold with the Roundup brandname is not pure glyphosate and contains a faster acting component in addition. Great trick selling impure water very expensively to gullible consumers (ditto for windscreen wash).

Don't support Monsanto & Roundup! Always buy the rival or own brand version with the highest % of glyphosate active ingredient instead.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Blimey, I'd imagine sulphuric acid might be an idea!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It took me 2 minutes to find and read the COSHH data sheet (silly gardeners)...

A bit more googling:

1 - 14% 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid 2 - 28% 3-Amino-1,2,4-triazole 3 - 46.7% 3-(3,4-dichlorophenyl)-1,1-dimethylurea

None of those is glyphosate, and (1) is banned in Canada and there's lots of scary stories about dioxin contaminants and it maybe being carcinogenic.

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:29:46 +0100, Phil L wrote: [about repointing]

is there a reason why you didn't simply brush the completely dry mix into the joints and then let the natural moisture in soil/atmosphere work its magic?

I'm particularly interested as I have around 70sqm of stone flags to repoint and want the most effective way of doing it that is both quick and long lasting.

Reply to
David P

Gylphostate like any systemic weed killer, works by plant absorbing it ... so if you have removed the visible weeds it won't work.

When I do for example paving, I use a Monsanto product - Boracil (Also sold as Bromacil

... its a non-selective, residual weedkiller ... means it kills anything and does not allow regrowth (of anything)

Reply to
Rick Hughes

First one I found too.

Unfortunately there is another "Pathclear" with different glyphosate formulation. It is no wonder that people get different results.

Neither are anything like as good as the old formulation.

Reply to
Martin Brown