webcam as security camera

I'm thinking of using a webcam as a security camera. I was looking at the Creative Webcam Live Pro, which I believe comes with motion detection video capture software, does anyone know if the Logitech Quickcam 4000 Pro or the Philips Toucam Pro 2 have motion activated video capture? I've heard the Philips is best in low light conditions.

Reply to
Ben

I'm currently using a Sony ExView 0.003 Lux mono CCD camera at the front of my house. it's ok for seeing what's going on and (if you already know who the person is) who's doing it but what it isn't good for is facial recognition and/or evidence collection, although someones gait is a surefire identifier.

given the above, I'd be doubtful if any CMOS 'web' cam would offer any sort of usable security value, especially in low light conditions i.e when people that give you security worries tend to operate and I've been unable to find any reference to the lowest Lux any of those webcams operate at. I'd guess they are for indoor/daylight use.

cameras that are good enough to collect evidence need to be supplemented with lighting, either invisible >940nm infrared or a whacking great P.I.R floodlight

hth, but if anyone 'knows' 'better', chip in don't wade in ;-)

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

you can download motion detector software to use with any webcam from

search for "webcam motion"

LJ

Reply to
in2minds

In general, nearly all low-end webcams suck for low-light. However, combined with a PIR light, even a 5.99 webcam can be usable.

A couple of 2.99 hubs, a few cables, and you can end up with several cameras for under 30 quid.

You are probably looking at spending at least 50 quid to get something with usable low-light.

However,

may also be worth a look, there are camera boards (and complete cameras) that will work down to 0.03 lux, whereas many webcams will crap out at 1 lux, and the especially bad ones many lux. (for around 50 quid)

(What's a lux?

is well worth a look)

(IIRC) has a 4 channel composite input card for not much money.

Software can make a difference too. If your software can do averaging, then you can get much better images at night, at the expense of temporal resolution.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have the creative nx pro cam. Go along to

and check the reviews. I wouldnt really rate many web cams as security devices becuase the optics just arent up to it,,far better to buy a dedicated item,or a second hand cam corder..

The motion detector software isnt all its cracked up to be either..

webcam is a webcam

surveillance cam is a surveillance cam

right product for the right job...

joe,manchester

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

the geovision series of capture cards are excellent, imo, with loads of features such as email alert, telephone alert, object movement detection, event logging, time and date stamping, webserver (even view via PDA) SMS alerts (GPRS card/mobile phone required) remote administration, support for dynamic DNS, etc,etc.

the geovision 250/4 x VGA + 1 x audio can be had for around the £100 mark.

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

Logitech does - but how much disc space will a webcam security system take up?

Reply to
Paper2002AD

the HDD calculator to, erm, calculate.

RT

Reply to
R Taylor

I've used "supervision cam" before & it works well.

Reply to
adder