Webb Mower

My son has bought a house and found the motor mower in the shed. It's a Webb and about 2foot 6 wide overall.

I did a search, but haven't found anything in the way of instructions.

The Briggs and Stratton engine has no visible type number. It says 5 HP, and I see that Briggs and Stratton have pdf's on their site but how do we find the model number? It started after we poked and fiddled a lot, and cleaned the plug. There is a metal pull out thing by the carburettor. Are we right to assume this is a 3 go primer and not a choke? There seems to be no dipstick, but 2 oil plugs. Do we fill via the top till oil is level with the bottom one?

There is a ride on seat attachment that has a round tube with a hole in it at the front, and a cross bar on the mower has a hole in the middle. There is a pin on a string dangling from the seat assembly, but when we offer up the pipe, the ride on bit fouls the engine before getting anywhere near the hole in the mower. Is there a piece missing?

Anyone know where to find instructions for one of these?

Reply to
Bill

Have a further dig about on the B&S site they have a bit some where that tells you where model/type/variant numbers are to be found, at least for their more recent engines...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

These days likely to be worth more than the house in 30 years time ;-)

ebay mebbe.

There are old mower sites somewhere.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe it's one of these.

number AB1439

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

In message , Tim Downie writes

Thanks, I should have thought of ebay. I've found some other ebay ads with more really good pictures of the missing bit to connect the seat to the main machine. Is there a best way to grab pictures off ebay so that I can print them out to show him? I don't really want to disturb the sellers.

He will also have to investigate the smoke from the belt drive before the next outing. I think this is going to involve a bit of work.....

Reply to
Bill

before

'Right click' the picture and 'save as'

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Right click, save as. The pic looks like a 1950s mower

NT

Reply to
NT

In message , NT writes

I've sussed it out. Firefox doesn't do Save Picture As, just Save Page As in HTML. I've found IE, loaded ebay into IE and now have pics saved.

Reply to
Bill

No, its save image as.

just Save Page

Wrong.

Microsoft have you under their thumb, dont they?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It does, but eBay use sneaky ways to load the images and hide them behind invisible layers, so that it isn't straightforward to save them.

To bypass their feeble attempt, type control-I to go to the Page Info dialogue, then select the Media tab, there will be a list of all images/scripts/movies etc displayed, you can scroll up and down it to view/save them all ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Firefox is pretty crippled out of the box, but you can add plugins to be able to save link addresses etc

NT

Reply to
NT

Do you remember when Firefox was a minimalist browser that worked very fast and used up hardly any memory?

Now Firefox is as bloated as Internet Explorer, and no more stable, I have changed to Chromium, the open source version of Google Chrome that doesn't send your browsing habits to Google. Download here:

Bruce

Easier still, hit "PrtScrn" on your keyboard and paste the page image into your favourite image editor.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

For all the old B+S single-cylinders that I've seen, it's stamped into a metal shroud on the flywheel side of the spark plug. My mower's engine had been repainted, so the numbers had been obscured, but I took the shroud off and could read them from the reverse side.

I'd wait until you've determined the engine type. On mine, one plug is a drain and the other a filler, but you basically fill it until oil pours out of the filler (and there's no dipstick, but the governor mechanism is designed to throttle the engine right back if it runs too low on oil).

Maybe the wrong seat for that mower? As it fits, though, maybe you can just drill a new hole at the appropriate spot...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Thanks for this and the other replies. We now know what we are looking for - a tube with holes in it with a universal joint at one end to attach to the mower. I assume the holes allow you to adjust the mower to seat distance to allow for the leg size of the driver. The u/j allows for hills and tight corners. It all looks like a masterpiece of simple design, and the whole thing scary enough to be fun to drive.

It's all locked away until they return to the house, so I now have a nice rest period.

Reply to
Bill

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying something like:

If you mean the enlarged pics, then yes.

Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

He's not. FF doesn't save the enlarged pics without a deal of fishing via 'view source'.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bill saying something like:

I came across one of those; the owner had named it 'The Wriggly'. You'll soon see why :)

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

But that's nothing to do with firefox. Its because they have tried to make them ungrabbable with a javascript wrapper.

My point is that firefox DOES do a save picture (image) as, not that it necessarily worked on Ebay. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

I don't know why they bothered, really. Possibly paying lip service to whinging sellers whose images get lifted for other auctions.

Yes, and I use it frequently. In the case of ebug it's better to use IE8 for the enlarged pics, as it turns out.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon