Web site with electric cable specifications??

Hi Group, When I go to purchase a length of cable to connect a domestic appliance to an indoor wall power socket, I am presented with a confusing selection of sizes, specifications etc etc. - anything from flat two-core bell wire up to very heavy 3-core types.

Please is there a web site which outlines in simple terms the current carrying capacities and specifications for such cables? I understand basic electrical principles and would like to be able to make an informed choice. (I am not concerned with "house wiring" type stuff - the grey type that lives, generally, out of sight!!)

Thank you

Ger

Reply to
Ger

You should find info on rswww.com

from memory 0.75mm^2 is rated at 6amps and 1.5mm^2 is Ok to 13 amps( maximum for a plug top).

There used to be something rated at 3 amps for tablelamps etc but I've not seen this for quite a while.it may have been removed from use on grounds of insulation thickness/resistance to abrasion as it was pretty light stuff.

There are differing insulation temp rating for things like immersion heater cabling. night storage heaters etc (3183Y is the spec for this I think)

hth

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

& here
Chris Oates

1.25mm^2 will do 13A for lengths not exceeding a few metres (12 metres for an extension lead; I think the appliance limit is less but I don't have that spec).

Still exists -- 0.5mm^2. EU regulations impose a maximum length of something like 2 or 3 metres on it for reasons which are not actually relevant in the UK. In some EU countries it will be protected at 16A and the cable resistance must be low enough to allow the fault current required to trip a 16A breaker if the appliance shorts out.

Actually, you'll find we play the same trick with 0.75mm^2, which you'll commonly see used on fridge/freezers with 13A fuses, and there's a cable length restriction.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks to all.

Visited the electrical WHOLESALER today and was able to hold my own with the lad behind the counter. Got just what I wanted and great for my self-esteem !!!! :-)))

Ger

Reply to
Ger

If you found the TLC website, get them to send you a free catalogue, or pick one up from one of their branches. It includes all the common cables and flexes with their ratings. They also cut to length pretty well any size - which many wholesalers won't. But be prepared to find things you'll want that you didn't even know existed...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thanks for the tip Dave, I have just ordered one.

Ger

Reply to
Ger