Web gateway to this newsgroup

The situation is complex, partly because Usenet was started in the USA before it signed up to the Berne convention. Therefore custom & practise on Usenet generally ignores the legal situation and unless someone does something really stupid the law pretty much ignores us.

Technically someone can create a Usenet post and restrict how it should be reproduced elsewhere. When GG first started many posters explicitly refused it permission to republish their posts. Google ignored them.

If Google ignored the legal situation and got away with it I don't think you will have any problems either.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Well here is a good reason not to use Google groups. I messaged using Google Chrome, which was logged in using my other account and now you know our site. I would have told you the site eventually, I just did not want you to flame it. Not yet anyway.

Doh.

Oh well. :)

Some of us also noticed the Filipino proxy thing going on since your first post.

Reply to
Graham.

Google is fairly clear that it is providing web access to an archive of a Usenet group. On the front page of Google's uk.d-i-y it says "This is a Usenet group ... learn more" and links to

it also blurs the destinction (cynicly IMHO) between Usenet and so-called Google Groups. If you search for something in
hace radio buttons for "all groups" and "google groups" but not one to select Usenet newsgroups only. Bring back Deja News, all is forgiven.

Reply to
Graham.

Fair point. We will make sure this happens.

Reply to
gary white

Well spotted. Not a proxy. Current location for new year. :)

Reply to
gary white