weatherproofing and insulation

Hi there

I have a situation where I am creating an outdoor terrace at 2nd floor level. This means that a previously internal wall (plasterboard stud wall) will form one edge of the terrace, so it will be outside. My question is this: would it be better to construct a whole new wall, or could the existing wall be weatherproofed an insulated in some way so that it would not mind one side of it being outside? Any comments or help would be welcomed. Thanks.

Reply to
crobi

New wall

Reply to
TMC

I suppose you could replace the outer plasterboard with Aquapanel. Similar products are used to clad modern buildings

Reply to
Stuart Noble

plasterboard with Aquapanel.

Replace the outer panel (or board over it) with a general purpose external cement board like viroc etc (aquapanel is funny stuff and very brittle), then render. A common building technique when filling in an external doorway etc, is to board with viroc, render and maybe pebbledash. Much quicker than building a block wall, and lighter. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The way that my house was dione..and archtect and BCO approved, was a constructuion of..

Plasterboard, foil lined.

6x3 studwork - gaps filled with rockwool (celotex better)

19mm water resistant ply

building paper - breathable splashproof membrane.

1x 1 1/2" batten over.. Drip bead nailed to lowest batten.

Expanded metal over that.

Two coats of render. I wish in some areas I had sealed that.

two coats of paint.

As I understand it the ply makes for a ove sideways.

The building paper is to stop any water that might get in from soaking into the ply.

The battens form an airgap, that helps keep all the wood work dry.

The mesh and render coating is a stormproof coat that keeps the water out. You could replace that with any cladding whose appearance was suitable. Or indeed build a single brick wall outside the lot, keyed to the ply by the simple expedient of driving big nails into the studs and keying them into the mortar joints.

I strongly recommend the ply. It adds enormously to the overall strength.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher