weatherproof junction box wiring

Hi,

I need some advice on this product. The instructions that came with it don't give any wiring examples.

got this because I want to join two pieces of 2.5mm T&E outside to form a single run (the cable is encased in 20mm plastic pipe). There are reasons I cannot run a single length of cable point to point. Can anyone help with these questions?

  1. Firstly there are 4 terminals on each set of terminal block, I presume I just don't use the 4th one, as the cable only has 3 wires?

  1. Does it matter as to which of the 4 terminals on a block the live, neutral and earth connect to?

  2. I presume the incoming T&E cable goes to any one of the 4 blocks, the outgoing cables go from another. Is it simply a case of using small lengths of cable inside the junction box to join the corresponding terminals as well? If not, what is the proper way to achieve what I want, preferably using the junction box and knowing I can't have one single length of cable and the join is outside.

Thanks,

James

Reply to
James

First thing to realise here is there are four terminal blocks, each with four connections - each of the connections on one terminal block are elctriacally joined together. So to join three cores you would need to use two terminals on each of three terminal blocks.

No.

If I am understanding correctly what you are saying, then that is a definite NO!

If you connect all three wires in your cable to three terminals on a single block, then all you will do is short the lot of them together!

Each group of four terminals are joined together. So lets say we call them:

# # # # # A B # # #

# # # C D # # # # #

Take the live from your incoming cable to the first terminal of A take its neutral to terminal 1 on B and the earth (after sleaving it in green/yellow PVC) to terminal 1 of C D remains unused.

Now take the live from your ougoing cable and connect to terminal 2 on A, the neutral to terminal 2 on B, and the earth to terminal 2 on C.

Note that exterior wiring will fall under part P of the building regs.

Reply to
John Rumm

John,

Thanks, that has cleared it up. I realised what I said in point 3 was wrong after I typed it..

James

Reply to
James

It's not sold as a DIY product, so you'd be expected to know how to wire it.

Correct. The fourth terminal is for where it's being used for the junction point of a lighting switch, etc.

No. It would be marked if it did.

Each of the four terminal blocks consists of a strip of brass with 4 holes in it for the cables and 4 screws which go into the top of those holes, then moulded into the plastic. So each of the four blocks is internally connected to itself, but not the others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)