Weatherproof junction box

I've bought a weatherproof junction box - the empty kind with the push- outs that glands fix in to.

The power for my pond pump and filter goes from a plug and plug-in RCD in the shed, via underground conduit, to where the junction box will split it next to the pond, between the pump and the UV thing on the filter. I'm going to attach the junction box to a vertical bit of wood, with a little roof on it.

My questions: how should I make the connections within the junction box? Is it OK to use Scotch block? Should I use silicon on the glands? Should I allow a drain hole in the bottom in case of condensation?

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

I would provide a drain hole. It will heat up in the sun, and as it cools draw in some air. I reckon it's impossible to totally seal this sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The IP65 box I just bought from Screwfix came with a chocolate block inside it.

I usually do.

Reply to
Huge

geraldthehamster presented the following explanation :

Make all entries via the bottom of the box and add a drain hole. I apply the rules 'stop water getting in, but make sure any that if it does get in, it can can get out' - seal the top, but make an escape hole in the lower edge.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thanks chaps.

Regards Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Yes, but it must be fixed to the junction box.

I wouldn't, but refer to instructions with the box

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Hmm. I've had sweets in the box from TLC, and I believe Viking Direct used to include tins of biscuits in sufficiently large orders. Never got chocolate from ScrewFix though :-)

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon