Weather - jet stream chart

I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck website which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to another.

Interestingly they show this chart

but although they give units for the colours on the chart it doesn't say what the units are. Can anyone here interpret this chart for me please - it does seem that 'red' is bad !?

Thanks

Reply to
robgraham

Is it not simply as stated:-

" About this page

You probably hear a lot about the Jet Stream in the news. It's either too f ar North or too far South. The jet stream is identified as winds at 300mb ( during Winter) and 200mb (during Summer). It is these winds which are respo nsible for driving and developing weather systems across the Atlantic.

The images are updated twice a day at 6.10am and 6.10pm (BST) and take appr ox 20 mins to complete."

????

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

I prefer this one

The colors would seem to be pressure differential - i.e. in real terms wind speeds

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The isobars on that chart are surface level isobars, the colours represent wind speed in mph of the jetstream at a defined pressure altitude (usually 300mb or around 30000ft)

Reply to
The Other Mike

Just a higher windspeed, measured in mph at around 30000 ft

Reply to
The Other Mike

Er....the caption immediately above the chart says Jetstream (mph).

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Oh sorry, that's what you said. I'll get my glasses!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

In message , robgraham writes

"The faster the jet, the more intense the red colouring." From help & Info section - scroll down a way.

Reply to
bert

When did Millibarrs get to be hecto Pascalls? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Hence, the Red Arrows. [sorry] J.

Reply to
Another John

In message , Another John writes

LOL

Reply to
bert

When the European Met men got involved

"Following the adoption of the Pascal as the SI unit of pressure, meteorologists chose the hectopascal as the international unit for measuring atmospheric pressure. (1 hPa = 100 Pascals = 1 mb.) The millibar is still often used in weather reports and forecasts for the public, but the term hectopascal is increasingly being used, especially on the Continent in general and France, in particular. After all, Pascal was a Frenchman!"

I suspect it was close to when June 01 became the first day of summer :-)

Reply to
news

On the subject of the jet-stream I have just been reading that the storm coming this weekend will "move the jet-stream"

"They said Bertha, which has moved from a hurricane to a tropical storm, threatens to knock the jet stream out of position, affecting Britain?s weather for weeks."

However last winters conveyor belt of storms took an unusual track because of the unusual position of the jet-stream.

"Variations in the jet stream - such as curvature or changes in speed - can drive the development of storms. The faster the jet stream, the greater force behind these variations - and that's meant a conveyor belt of storms coming to the UK."

So I am left asking do storm tracks fix the position the jet-stream or does the jet-stream fix the position the storm tracks?

Reply to
news

I fear you may find the answer is Yes

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

I think the answer is actually "basically Yes, but actually it's more complicated than that"

Reply to
Martin Bonner

Here, not outside professional meteorological use. To my knowledge they have been using hPa for at least 25 years in public weather forecasts in Australia, maybe even longer.

Reply to
The Other Mike