We've done CFL's , what about LED's ?

There has been a lot of discussion on this group about tungsten- replacement lights. The long thread on this subject ("100w light bulbs") does not seem to reveal much enthusiasm for CFL's.

How about LED's? I have less experience with those, but what experience I have suggests they are blinding white to look at but without a decent light penetration. Are there positive experiences out there ?

LED's too do not seem to be realistic tungsten/incandescant replacements. Seems we are banning petrol/diesel cars before the fuel cell is ready, if you see what I mean.

Reply to
Rob

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 12:53:07 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Rob wrote this:-

Those who are against something tend to shout the loudest.

Reply to
David Hansen

only when it is forced upon them with little actual benefit to them. or the planet.

Here withing scud missile range of a nuclear power station, each CFL means that I have to burn more arab oil to heat the house.

Rather than Nice Australian uranium, that makes no CO2.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have a 2*40W LED light above my bathroom mirror which is fine for lighting my face. I wouldnt use it to light a room

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

YES. But there seems to be too many naysayers here, so I'm not going to say anymore.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

high efficiency long lived, but not as long as often claimed low light quality (CRI and CCT both not good) low max light output per lamp very robust high purchase cost, with cost apx proportinal to power

Ideal for apps requiring robustness and low light output, eg inspection lights.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

LEDs share some, but not all, of the problems of CFLs. They are either monochromatic (red, green, orange, blue) or ultra-violet with a phosphor mix on the front to approximate to white light. At high output powers, the light emitting part gets warm enough to drop in reliability, so rather than one big LED, lamps are currently made with several smaller LEDs in an array. Their light output is highly directional, so to replace GLS lamps you need effective diffusers (which are quite difficult to get right).

As I said, the 'white' LEDs use a phosphor coating on an ultra-violet (or occasionally blue) LEDs - this has the same problem with colour rendition as fluorescent lamps, which use the same excited phosphor mechanism - in the case of standard and compact fluorescent, the excitation is by ultra-violet light generated from a a mercury arc discharge.

By using a different coloured LEDs and varying their output, almost any perceivable colour can be generated, but the luminous efficacy (lumens/watt) of such set ups is poor, as is the stability. Phosphor coated uv- or blue- LEDs can now better standard fluorescents in luminous efficacy.

LEDs are not quite there yet.

Cheers,

Sid

Reply to
unopened

Leds are getting better but are not ready for prime time in the US as far as cost, lumen, and color is concerned. I just bought a few and will return them since the package ratings were untrue on output. They are getting more efficent and better color rendition but are not what I have seen any more efficent than Cfls or as good a color. We have Cfls here that have a better color rendition then incandesants, there is an old rating at

' Popular Mechanics magazine, I dont know if my link is correct but its in the home section of maybe 1 yr old. Leds I will wait on, my Cfls have 7 yr walk in warranty and cost me 1$ US.

Reply to
ransley

FFS its the tree huggers who shouted so loud the guvmint knee jerked & banned incandescents.

And that sums up the greenwash movement. Never mind the science, just keep shouting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yup. Greenpiss have done more damage to the actual environment by making such ridiculous claims and coming up with such ridiculous solutions that they have made people suspect that global warming ain't happening. Its 'just a ploy by manufacturers to sell more expensive rubbish'.

FOE seem to have a bit more sense..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The tree huggers are irritating, and didn't help.

But the real problem was the European lightbulb manufacturers who lost their GLS business to China, so 'fixed' a bit of trade restriction by the back door, 'persuading' them to ban GLS in favour of the much more profitable CFLs.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 08:44:35 GMT someone who may be "The Medway Handyman" wrote this:-

An excellent example of what I was talking about.

A lot of FUD has been spread about compact fluorescent lamps, generally by those sections of society which whine about anything different. Unfortunately some people are taken in by these allegations. However, no matter how long and loud the false allegations about them are repeated they will remain false, as those of us who have used them since the 1980s know and will occasionally say, despite attempts to shout us down.

Over that period it has been interesting to watch the developments. The compact fluorescent lamps I bought in the early 1980s did take a long time to start, were bulky and heavy, and so on. However, that was a long time ago and engineering has moved on since then.

The Daily Wail inspired stampede to buy Swan-Edison lamps is great, the sooner they are removed from the shops the better. I look forward to the Daily Wail inspiring similar panic buying of 60W lamps. As Mr W says from time to time, bring it on.

Reply to
David Hansen

Would combining red, green and blue LEDs in a single unit help create a nicer whiter light?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Oh, do f*ck off and die, you tiresome little shit.

Reply to
Huge

very much

NT

Reply to
meow2222

A well documented problem.

A well documented problem.

I suspect this is a well documented problem too.

So, as Mr Hansen can see, there are enough well known non-FUD issues in this one post alone, that the rest of the FUD can be ignored for what it is.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It depends. What we know as white light is a combination of all colours. LEDs tend to produce a narrow spectrum light and even by adding what appears to be the three primary colours won't necessarily give a pure white. What tends to make non filament light look poor is not any slight tint it gives to things - but what parts of the spectrum it is missing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some prefer lighting in the home to help make the mood in a room - not just illuminate it for the hoovering. And CFLs are totally useless for this. Not much better for the hoovering, either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave, you managed to say succinctly what I struggled to say over many paragraphs and finally deleted without posting. Thanks.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 16:17:29 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote this:-

Ah, proof by assertion.

Reply to
David Hansen