WD40 Everything you wanted to know

or not maybe! with can of WD40;

LIST of 2000 appliactions here:

Gel

gets water out of places it shouldn't be. It also has a huge placebo effect and cult following. It's a handy cleaning solvent for things like bicycle hubs and bicycle chains. It has a advantage over kerosine in that it works on gunge, soluble in either water or oil, it leaves a thin rust-suppressing film, it's more effective than alcohol and it comes in that handy spray can. Be sure to replace the lubricant that you wash out, as it is not a lubricant.

The "film" it leaves turns into a sticky, dust-attracting gum in lock. Re-spraying WD40 into it re-dissolves the gum, and it reforms as soon as the solvents evaporate.

I have used it on damp locks and they became smoother soimly because it removed the moisture.

I can't really think of many other uses for it. It is no magic fluid that is for sure.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

Printed for Spouse.

That'll keep him out of mischief for a while, even he can't claim to know all that!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On 26 Jan 2005, IMM wrote

-snip-

The water displacement uses are enough for me: that's what it was designed for, and that's what it does well.

It's useful stuff to spray on garden tools for the winter if you live in a damp climate; helps to stop them rusting.

As for the "lubricating" properties, it works well enough where a bit of dusty grunge isn't a life-threatening issue -- like squeaky door hinges/office chair wheels.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

It's not a lubricant. Get proper spray on lubricant.

to open account

Reply to
IMM

On 26 Jan 2005, IMM wrote

In written English, the use of quotation marks around a word like "lubricating" indicates that the writer does not accept the accuracy of that description.

So I don't classify it as a lubricant -- that's the point of the quotation marks. Others however, do call it a lubricant, as they perceive that it *appears* to *function* as one.

I take it you're not a native user of English, but don't worry: your command of the written language will improve as you learn some of these nuances.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

It is or it isn't. It isn't a lubricant.

I am brilliant at English

to open account

Reply to
IMM

On 26 Jan 2005, IMM wrote

??

What part of "they perceive that it *appears* to *function* as one" are you having trouble deconstructing? Where does that state "it's a lubricant"?

Yeah, right...

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

I was surprised to find it recommended on a yale padlocks packaging instructions.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

WD 40 is not a lubricant, as many think it is, It's a water displacer

I understood it contained graphite, which is why it lubricates. I've used it on dozens of locks - Yale, car etc and it works a treat - never had a problem.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

[...]

Ruddy hell, something I can quite agree with uttered by IMM......

WD40 - bloody awful stuff, almost as miss-used as copperslip anti-seize 'grease'.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It doesn't contain graphite. No matter how many times you say it :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Can you spray some on your sticky send button please ?....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::