WC pan skid marks

I hope this topic is not too delicate for this forum...

There are 3 toilets in my 1997 built house, all with the same design. It says Ideal Standard 825 on the lid of the cistern, so maybe that is the model number.

The problem is that every one of these units suffers from skid marks in use, so they require constant attention. Now, I'm aware that other designs do not behave in this manner, so it probably has to be something to do with the overall design, the slope, the water level.

I can no alternative to replacing these pans for something more suitable and friendly, but I am left wondering - do WC pan designers not do practical tests on their products before releasing them to an unsuspecting public?

I know the mind boggles, but this is a serious fault!

David J

Reply to
David J

Aha. So YOU have that pan as well.

In this case, apparently not!

There is a tip tho

Lay a strip of toilet paper over the bowl front first.

Oddly enough, although the first dump dislodges it, its enough.

We just live with it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Change your diet, or dumping technique

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Its probably a conflict of interest - getting effective flushing performance on low water volumes. Some are definitely better in respect of layout however!

Reply to
John Rumm

Try moving the 'drop' centreline by shifting back and forth on the seat. Some people skid at the rear, some at the front.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Jessop

The problem is that the overall design of pan plus seat is poor - resulting in the hole in the seat being too far forward, so that solids drop onto the sloping bit of the pan rather than directly into the water.

You may be able to adjust the seat hinges to move the seat further back

- but you may then have difficulty getting the seat to stay upright when required.

Reply to
Roger Mills

You just need to improve your aim.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

you could try flushing first then doing the bussiness. This should give a more slippery suface with less grip.

Reply to
A Plumber

That was my reaction on reading the OP. Surely the best course of action is to go to the source of the problem. There should be no skid marks from well-run bowels.

MM

Reply to
MM

Squirt with WD40?

Reply to
Adrian C

The spiritual home of the skid-free bog is Japan, but this will only be understood by anybody fortunate enough to have visited.

Some (not all) of the bogs detect the presence of an arse and release a continuous film of water to wet the walls to reduce skids. Their urinals work the same way as well, to reduce smells. Some bogs suck air inwards for the same reason.

The bog seats are always heated, and an integrated bidet function seems universal. Quite disturbing the first time you use it. Also if you press the wrong button (intended for females) you get your knackers washed as well.

Some info here:

's worth visiting Japan just to have a dump! (but to be honest the train system is much more amazing)

Reply to
Vortex10

Little surprised that there has been no mention of an angle grinder so far ;-)

Reply to
johno

Aha. So YOU have that pan as well.

Beats the crap out of cling-film IMHO. In a macabre sort of way, Ideal Standard have already found a solution. Look at the expression of relief on the face of the young lady in this bottom photo:-

shouts "Get a larger toilet" - and a pointed stick ......

Reply to
Bertie Doe

Why stop there? An Elvis-like gyration can create pleasing Mr Whippy outcomes...

Reply to
Steve Walker

& I like the off the cuff comment "When it's gone it's gone"

Yeah, some time next Easter ...

Derek G

Reply to
Derek G.

I've wondered if using one of those windscreen products like Rainex might work for a while,one day I may actually get around to experimenting.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I've got one as well. A Chinese copy no doubt. I should have known it would be useless when I read the instructions for installing the siphon. "Insert the spigot into the exit hole & circumgyrate the nut".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mine has the opposite problem - skid marks at the back of the pan.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

And what effect does WD-40 have?

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's easier to fix - move the seat forwards relative to the pan.

Reply to
Roger Mills