WC cistern inlet runs constantly after unrelated plumbing work

It is the modern vacuum type inlet with the small float. (can't remember the name), like this:

inlet valve is running constantly. I suspect the mechanism has dirt in it from my other plumbing job, though I can't see any, and I haven't managed to solve the problem by cleaning. How do I solve this?

I have one plan for the future. Next time I do plumbing I'll run other taps before flushing the toilet to try and clear out any debris.. '..A cup of tea before a pee.'

Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs

More cleaning. Unscrew the collar round the arm and remove the arm assembly (I assume you've turned the water off!). Remove the rubber diaphragm (careful of the sharp pin that sticks through at the top). Remove the filter behind this. Look for muck behind that. Can be hard to remove - I use a water pistol.

When reassembling, make sure the hole in the diaphragm fits over the pointy pin.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Inlet or outlet. Is the water filling the cistern - or is the toilet constantly flushing?

Reply to
John

John, Inlet Water filling the cistern.. -To do with the parts Bob Eager described.

I'd forgotten that I'd fited an isolator to the inlet pipe last time it happened. That would've enabled me to avoid the problem. Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs