Ways to snazz up white melamine kitchen unit doors?

I wanted to replace the budget white melamine doors on all my kitchen units, but I now find that my wall units seem to be an onsolete size (600 mm high).

Has anyone found a good way to improve the look of white melamine? I'm thinking of applying a real hardwood veneer and some up-market handles. Anyone tried applying veneer to melamine? Or have you come up with other methods of resurfacing/tarting-up white malamine?

Thanks for any ideas.

Rich R

Reply to
Rich R

A sheet or two of MDF and a Router, then do what you like?!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Scrap the melamine Use 19mm veneered MDF retain existing hinges if serviceable and use an existing door for pattern for hinge positions

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Paint your own designs on it then youll have a unique kitchen.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

International have a range suitable for this, although I have no experience of using it.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Veneer is expensive have you thought about covering with very thin plywood? which will be far cheaper and easier than veneering.

Reply to
George

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never seen any really thin plywood. How thin does it come and where can one get it?

Rich

Reply to
Rich R

Thanks for the suggestion. Where can veneered MDF be obtained, and what do you do about the edges?

Rich

Reply to
Rich R

Thanks. I wondered about that, but what sort of finish would you apply?

Rich

Reply to
Rich R

Any decent Handyman store or your local woodyard.

I've gotton it as thin as 1/16" flexible and can be cut with a sharp stanley knife.

Reply to
George

I have & it works well. Best to remove the door & lay it flat (& level) & paint that way.

Failing that, replace them

free quote on line, any size you want, any hinge position. I've used them before & they are very good.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We use 1/32" from a model shop - but not for this application.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Personally, I would get them spray painted in what ever high gloss colour / finish I fancy (tri-colour pearl anyone?!), but that's mainly because I can [1]. Your tastes could well be completely different....

[1] if I wasn't in such a situation to do so I would no doubt consider other options
Reply to
:Jerry:

That's true. Thanks for the suggestion. It's the sort of thing I might do if I was going to live here for a while. Actually I'm doing a place up to sell, so I feel I have to try to appeal to a wide audience and avoid anything too personalised. I refrained from painting a mural on one of the walls for this reason (even though I could arguably have done a good job, having had some years of professional experience as a mural-painter).

Rich

Reply to
Rich R

I'm amazed. That's about as thin as veneer, isn't it?

Rich

Reply to
Rich R

I don't know. Thinking about it, it probably wouldn't suitable, it comes in strips which are about 8" wide. It's birch.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yep. I've also used 1/32" spruce veneer many a time for aeromodelling. I think you can get 1/64" as well, tho' I've never used it.

The (necessary) quality of the individual plys puts most plywood to shame!

jon N

Reply to
jkn

That's one of the uses we have for it. The other is to make weaving tablets.

We have, for the tablets. That was a special order for someone who wanted to make a belt with over a hundred tablets, she wouldn't have been able to turn them all at once if they'd been any thicker.

I agree. It works beautifully and doesn't split at the edges and corners.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But its nort wide/long enough for covering cupboard doors...sheesh!

Reply to
George

I've already said that :-)

Mary