ways to make windows translucent, temporarily?

Hi all, I've taken over a building that I want to use as a workshop and will later want to use it to a dwelling. While I am using it as a workshop, I'd like to make the windows translucent so that inquisitive poeple can't see what's inside. If it were a dwelling, I'd simply use net curtains, but that is not a practicl option while I'm using it as a store/workshop. I wondered if anyone knows any other temporary methods of making a window translucent cheaply and temporarily. I'm reluctant to use any self-adhesive vinyl, because I don't know how long I will be using the building as a workshop. I guess that vinyl could become hard to remove after it has been sun-baked for a few years. I wondered about using vaselene, but I think it might attract airborn dust/bugs, etc. Can anyone offer any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions, Al

Reply to
Al N

You can buy it from garden centres for greenhouses (I know this, because my wife uses it on her greenhouse each summer) but I expect there are cheaper sources.

Reply to
Huge

The trad. method during e.g. decoration, is simply to apply Windolene quite thickly and not wipe it off, if you want something designed for the job then perhaps a greenhouse shading paint?

Reply to
Andy Burns

"frosting films" are cheapish and easily removable

sometimes appear in Aldidl too.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Whitewashed windows during building or redecoration used to be a common sight years ago. Not seen very often these days.

Windows coverd in newspaper is still often seen.

Reply to
Graham.

On Thursday 19 September 2013 12:39 Graham. wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes it was - especially shops undergoing refurbishment.

I suspect it is because most builders now would say "what's whitewash" whereas back then, everyone used it for something.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Windolene. The old style white stuff. You are unlikely to find it in a supermarket but probably can in the sort of shop that sells gardening bits and pieces, ironmongery, firelighters and furniture polish etc.

mark

Reply to
mark

Now called "original cream" which sounds a bit like a Sherry ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

You can get stick on window film to do what you want to do. I have used some on my garage windows for about six years without any problems.

Try Ebay item No: 251327574005

Reply to
Farmer Giles

In article , Al N writes

Not all the window films use adhesive, I think you can get ones that work by exclusion of air and damp application, a bit like some road tax holders.

Alternatively, drafting film (ether paper of plastic based) works for this and you can hang it on net curtain type spring cord if you like. A0 size should be big enough and prob under a quid (or maybe I'm out of date).

Reply to
fred

They used to use good old whitewash or similar and then wash it off afterwards. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Painted the outside of the conservatory roof earlier in the year, nearly all gone now. That's outside in the weather - not sure how easy it would be to remove :)

Cheap enough to try a little somewhere?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Tim Watts wrote in news:235rga-357.ln1 @squidward.local.dionic.net:

I remember there was a trend of using Windowlene (and letting it dry, without wiping it off) - for houses and shops that were in the process of refurbishment. Is that the same effect you get with the greenhouse whitewash stuff?

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Farmer Giles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Do you think it will be easy to remove after six years?

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Bubble wrap (smallish bubbles best).

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

fred wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y.z:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions. I particularly like the drafting film idea. It could be attached with bits of magic tape or similar. The non-stick plastic frosting film also sounds good.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Yes. Although none it has peeled off itself during that time, and is very firm and securely attached, I have removed some and it came off very cleanly and easily.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Shoe whitener. Available in a tube with an applicator under the cap. Very handy for this. Just wipe it over the window. No brushes or buckets to clean up afterwards and if the tube was left in situ touch up would be easy.

Reply to
fred

A few years ago I had an industrial unit with clear windows. Insurance company recommended a security film that was floated on with water and a squeegee and made it hard to break the glass. We had the option of clear or translucent. It was relatively cheap and easy to apply.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Farmer Giles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

Could you tell me where you got it and the brand name? Many thanks.

Reply to
AL_n