Way OT rant - Practice? Bah!

Whoever invented the saying "Practice makes perfect" needs to be hung, drawn and quartered and their entrails scattered to the four corners of the globe, so to speak!!

I'm trying to learn to play guitar, 95% of which, I'm told, is practice, practice, practice. Yes, great. I'm putting in the practice and I'm getting really good - at doing it wrong!!! Grrr!!

Rant over, spleen vented :-)

Reply to
Bill Payer

The other 5% is talent, without which, all the practice in the world won't make any difference. :-)

Colin Bignell (failed musical sensation)

Reply to
Nightjar

Take your mittens off and try again.

mark

Reply to
mark

Nightjar

Reply to
Bill Payer

Oh if only it were so simple :-)

Reply to
Bill Payer

I learnt all the chords and could strum them but putting them into a song was poo The only way I could get a good sound (well to my ears) was to pick up my guitar and a bottle of whiskey, as the evening went on the better it sounded, surprisingly some people thought it sounded good but they where probably more pissed than I was. Still got the guitar and loads of song books but nowadays I find it easier to sing along to You Tube with an air guitar. I do admire somebody who can play but with lots of envy.

Reply to
Corporal Jones

That looks a good site Jon, thanks.

Reply to
Bill Payer

[...]

The real secret is:

*perfect* practice makes perfect.

As you say, otherwise you just practice the wrong thing.

For guitar, I like this guy (well, gal, actually, these days):

HTH Jon N

Reply to
The Night Tripper

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
Wesley

Pete Townshend (the Who) said something like "If you practice, you only get better at practicing,".

Otherwise said, play to enjoy yourself.

Don't worry about getting it "right", just get it right for you.

Ok, sounds a bit w*nky, but its how you get better.

Don't worry to much about changing from one chord shape to another, i.e. don't rush. The speed will come after your fingers (and not you), remember where they're supposed to go.

Reply to
Devany

Reply to
Bill Payer

_Exactly_ :-)

That's what's giving me most grief but I'll take your advice and not rush at it. Cheers my friend.

Reply to
Bill Payer

Have you seen Hayley Mills lately?

The poor lass looks a good 20 years older than she really is - or is there a younger Hayley on the scene who I have as yet not noticed?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I was thinking more generically.

Mind, I did have a crush on her when I was in my teens...

Reply to
Bob Eager

You weren't the only one. :-)

Reply to
Roger Chapman

In message , Bill Payer writes

You can cheat by using a guitar with a wide fret board (lots of space for stubby fingers). Probably Spanish style.

Electronic tuners? Pitch pipe and a tiny piece of folded paper hung on the string in my day.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I saw the Parent Trap 13 times. Wouldn't do that for Lindsay Lohan...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Susan George was more my taste

Colin Bignell