Way OT - homoeopathic shower gel?

I was getting near the end of a bottle of gloopy shower gel. So in my usual tight fisted way I added some water from the shower (by squeezing the bottle and then letting it suck water in from the shower water).

To my surprise, the shower gel remained gloopy and the usual dispensed amount lathered up fine.

Bit more usage, bit more water added, still gloopy and the same dispensed amount seemed to lather up just as well.

I have concluded that the shower gel has homoeopathic properties in that it retains its functional essence through multiple dilutions.

Not perfectly, though, otherwise I could put a drop in a swimming pool and be set up with shower gel for life.

Also, I can't be arsed to capitalise on this by getting empty bottles and dilution one bottle into several because shower gel costs peanuts and life is just too short.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

fenestrating ...

Reply to
Jimbo ...

Or a large amount of gel remains glooped to the sides of the container. There's more left than you thought. When you previously threw away what you thought was as empty container, it wasn't.

Totally irrelevantly, I really don't like the stuff and I don't understand why anyone would buy it. It's cost-effective for gyms, hotels, etc, but the traditional solid bar always worked well for home use and I don't see what problem gels are supposed to solve. Having said that I'm probably not as tight-fisted as you. :-)

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , David writes

Don't we all do that? :-)

I think the answer is that adding a little water helps to release all that otherwise unusable shampoo or whatever that is stuck to the inside of the bottle, and is only normally accessible if you have the patience of Job.

Talking bathrooms and tight fists (!), I have always thought that we, as a family, seem to get through vast amounts of bog roll. We recently spent two weeks away in a cottage, where there was half a roll on arrival. We immediately bought a four pack, and later, a nine pack. When we left, we left half a roll, and brought four unused rolls home. That means three of us used nine rolls in two weeks. In practice, that probably means each parent used a roll, and the teenager used the other seven. WTF does he do with the stuff? No, don't answer that ...

Reply to
News

People like the OP have simply bought into those images of bearded twerps in the shower in the commercials. So they pay through the nose for the stuff, and then waste a lot of it as you point out.

Yes, a solid bar of soap is all that's needed. Something like Simple Soap at apparently around 30p/bar in TescOS and with no perfume which is a plus.

Reply to
Tim Streater

En el artículo , Mike Barnes escribió:

Soap leaves a scum which is pain to clean off, especially if you have a glass-walled shower. Gels don't have this problem.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Tim Streater escribió:

Tesco Value shower gel, 30p a bottle. Exactly the same as the more expensive stuff. You're paying for the name and the image.

Squirt it into one of those plastic loofah things and apply with the water off. A small amount goes absolutely miles.

Only idiots squirt it into their hand and try to apply it that way - it just slides right off the skin and down the drain. That's how to waste it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , News escribió:

Some people eat it.

eating-4780944

Better inspect said teenager for giveaway strands of paper around his mouth. Makes a difference from inspecting for telltale white powder around the nostrils, I suppose.

Oops. :-)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I get round that by using Dove which a bar but not soap. Possibly not the cheapest option, but I like it.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Along with slicing plastic bottles of tomato ketchup and mayonnaise in half to scoop out the last bit? :-)

Reply to
GB

I have a long, thin spoon, I think it is a sundae spoon, ideal for reaching the last pickled onion in the jar, or scrapping the last of the ketchup out :-)

Reply to
News

Sup with the devil a lot, do you?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Tim Streater writes

Well, I read uk.d-i-y :-)

Reply to
News

Yeah, close enough.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You don't get blocked drains if you use Gel - (I use Sanex)Bar soap is made of animal Fat and it makes scum.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Not so much the drains, but SWMBO has Sanex in the house to cut down on sink cleaning.

Or she did...I now buy 5 litre industrial containers of antibacterial gel and refill the bottles!

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

Yup.

I use shower gel because I find it more convenient that soap in the shower

Reply to
Chris French

Ah, now here's a question: I thought that soap killed bacteria, is this in fact not the case? Or does it just mechanically remove it by binding to the cell wall. What I'm after is to understand what it is about "anti-bacterial" gel (or soap, for that matter) that allows people to use the term "anti-bacterial" about their product.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Washing up liquid is like this as well.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

No idea. But Carex says it's antibacterial so I bought industrial quantities of..."antibacterial" to keep SWTNFI happy.

Reply to
Bob Eager