Wax

Page 2 of 2
Mary Fisher wrote:

Same goes for AK47's, atom bombs and castor oil plants. And indeed morphine etc etc.

Users
Precisley.
However, the carcinogenic nature of the burnt wax is very large. There are no government warning on em.
Tobacco is not harmful either, unless lit, and inhaled.

I am pretty sure that's only beacsue some sodding Union hasn't gotten around to thinking of it yet.

[30 lines snipped]

aka "distressing".
In both senses.
Sneezy wrote:

I believe more people die as a result of candle acidents than fireworks.
I wonder if Cherise wasn't such a dippy Nu Age aromethreapyfengshiter, they would be banned.

Oh yes.
17 died in the UK in house fires caused by candles in 2001 (the most recent stats available at www.odpm.gov.uk)
There have been only 3 firework fatalities between 1997 and 2002
David (Guess who's the only one in the office back at work today, and is BORED!)

label and you are unsure of. Although brown paper is the traditional remedy it's much better to use kitchen paper these days. Put it on both sides of the speaker material and use the lowest iron setting. Candle wax melts at a low point. Change the paper a few times to make sure you blot it all. Good luck.

Oops! I did the same, through four sheets of kitchen paper!
--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282

Depends on the quality of the 'wax'. I doubt that it will be beeswax so will be any one of a variety of solid paraffins or stearin.
The melting point isn't important, as others have suggested use an iron with paper between the sole plate and the item. But start on a very low temperature setting on the iron and only slowly raise it.
Recently I spilled tallow all over the landing carpet and found that unprinted newspaper was extremely effective in absorbing the tallow. Some brown papers are glazed, you need an untreated paper for best effect. It might even be a good idea to use more than one layer, removing the lower one as it absorbs the wax.
Mary

Wax melts somewhere in the range 60-70 degrees C if my memory is correct.

John wrote:

Ohmygawd.
Wax softens at water boiling pount, but warm washing won't shift it.
I'd suggest first of all soaking in a warm organic solvent - white spirit may indeed work well, followed by dropping in a basin of detergent of some sort.
If the covers can't be removed for washing, try gently dabbing with absorbent paper and cellulose thinners.

SWMBO lit one of those hideous multi dipped and carved American decorative candles in a saucer on the hearth, (as per the instructions) it was about 10" tall. Unwisely we left it burning unattended and at some stage when it had burnt well down the side melted through and released about a pound of melted wax which overwhelmed the saucer and spilled onto the new carpet. :-(
I got it off completely by softening it with a hair dryer and mechanically scraping it off, then I used a heavy organic solvent (so it didn't just evaporate immediately) alternating with a steam cleaner to keep the wax liquid. When I'd got all I could off by doing that I used a lighter organic solvent to remove what was left inc. last traces of the heavy solvent.
DG