waterproofing plywood

Hello,

I was reading some old posts about waterproofing plywood. The advice was to paint the edges with metal primer. Why should you use a metal primer rather than a wood primer?

Which metal primer should I use? In my local shed there are: metal primer for ferrous metal, metal primer for rusty ferrous metal, special primer for non-ferrous metal, and red oxide primer. What's the last one for?

I also found an aluminium primer which counter-intuitively is not for aluminium but for wood. Is it so called because it contains aluminium? I read that it stops knots showing. I might buy this next time because if it saves having to do a separate application of knotting solution, hopefully this will speed things along.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fred

I normally use a woodstain (not a 'wood dye') for protecting the edges.

Better still is to glue a small batten of durable wood to the edge.

Paint is OK but more likely to peel if the wood gets too damp somehow.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C ukdiy

I don't know abou paint or primer but to really do the job properly use two part epoxy, you can get it from fibeglass suppliers or boating chandlers.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Fred,

Use the alumimium primer.