Waterproofing a parachute

What can I do to make a parachute a little more impermeable to rain? I've got one arranged over the hammock in the garden.

I don't want anything that will spoil its lovely soft billowing, and it doesn't have to be completely impervious.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Very hard to achieve without losing some flexibility.

Linseed oil thinned down may work.

Or whatever it is that they use on barbour jackets...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

================= Look in a camping / tent shop for 'Nev' water proofing liquid. Or try 'googling' for 'Nev' which should give you some more information about other similar products before you buy.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Seconded. If you can't find that look for some of the Nikwax products (they are not waxy!) Look for the stuff for Paramo jackets...

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Waterproofing liquid from an outdoors type shop?

Reply to
adder

Silicone oil. Sold as waterproofing agent in camping shops - looks like water and won't affect the material properties.

Unfortunately the billowing will make the waterproofing less effective over time.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Is it so you won't get wet on the way down?!

Francis

Reply to
FrancisJK

I've not tried going down in the hammock, but in fact you can manage all kinds of things if you want to.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Your not the same Daniele I bought a Metro off near Cantrerbury in the mid-90's are you???!

Reply to
adder

Probably. It would be too much of a coincidence otherwise I suspect.

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

How do you get down off a hammock?

Francis

Reply to
FrancisJK

Probably. I know Daniele was there in the mid 90s...only too well!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Grangers Fabsil, not cheap, but good stuff!

Reply to
Badger

Hi,

Did it blow up shortly after purchase? :)))

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The only thing that blew up was the bonnet - the car hit a bump and the bonnet catch released itself at about 80mph on the motorway =:o

Yes, it's coming back to me now. Daniele was moving down to wales, taking his newly aquired Fiat with him, which probably has blown up by now :-)

Reply to
adder

Interesting people! What attracted me to this thread was "Waterproof parachute"! I figured anyone crazy enough to jump out of a plane wouldn't notice, let alone mind, a bit of rain? And now we have cars that 'blow up'; well not terrorist style blow ups! Huh?

Reply to
Terry

You dont! You get it off a duck!

I thank you!