Waterproof adhesive - availability of BS EN specs on line ?

I have a requirement for a waterproof glue and started to do a bit of googling about it. It seems that such glues comply with BS EN 204, but there are different gradings - I've seen D2, D3 and D4.

Being a bit of an anorak I wanted to see what these gradings meant but seem to have to be forced to buy a copy of the Standard at great expense. Does anyone know what applies for what would be near enough garden furniture - it's actually a beehive.

I was looking for the original Cascamite powder but that seems to have disappeared.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Cascamite is rated D3.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But you don't want mites in hives. :-(

I have used this:

for various external uses. And quite like it. Certainly nicer to use than some other polyurethane adhesives. However there might be some reason NOT to use it on a hive.

Reply to
polygonum

It Would Be Easier To Read If They Formatted The Text A Bit Better, Wouldn't It...

Reply to
docholliday93

It _was_ a favourite of boat builders, many years ago. But AFAIK they've all gone to epoxy, or possibly polyurethane.

x-posted.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

D1 interior, in which the moisture content of the wood does not exceed

15%

D2 interior, occasional short term exposure to water, moisture content of wood not exceed 18%

D3 interior frequent short term exposure to water, heavy exposure to high humidity. Exterior not exposed to weather.

D4 interior frequent long-term exposure to water. Exterior exposed to weather but with protection by an adequate surface coating.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The BS EN 204 durability classes are explained here

Peter Parry

I've assembled several (Thornes) beehives and never use glue. They just need nails for the box-joints. The bees will plug any gaps with propolis.

Reply to
Reentrant

Go to your local library and read them free online.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

If you have a library card number you can do it from anywhere - not just the library.

But having said that Owain has posted pretty much the only bit of the whole 10 page document that is actually worth having!

(there is a second table that adds some numbers):

Table 2 ? Minimum values of adhesive strength for thin boncMines Conditioning sequences Adhesive strength in N/mm' Durability classes Serial number Duration and condition D1 D2 D3 D4

1 7 days' in standard atmosphere >=10 >=10 >=10 >=10 2 7 days in standard atmosphere 3 h in water at (20±5)'C 7 days in standard atmosphere >=8 3 7 days in standard atmosphere 4 days in water at (20±5)'C >=2 >=4 4 7 days in standard atmosphere 4 days in water at (20±5)'C 7 days in standard atmosphere >=8 5 7 days in standard atmosphere 6 h in boiling water 2 h in water at (20±5)'C >=4
Reply to
John Rumm

I summarised less than 10% of the work for review. ;-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes - agreed, but this is the roof. I don't like box joints because you do have to nail them and have done dovetails. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Well between us, I guess we have reviewed it to the point of if now being redundant!

Reply to
John Rumm