water underfloor heating

Well yes - except that I couldn't see any evidence of any such valves on the photos referenced by the OP.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Looking at the manifold picture, there are 6 "zones" but they don't not see m to have individual valves. Therefore the implication of this is that fro m the manifold perspective, the whole floor is on or off. Looking at the w hite/ yellow box wiring, it would appear that this is done by turning the p ump on or off. One would assume that there is a room stat (probably 1 per f loor) which switches this pump on when it calls for heat.

Given that the 2 floors have their own manifold and setup, to me, the sympt oms would suggest that the problem lies with the upstairs setup rather than any balancing between upstairs and downstairs - assuming that the central hot water supply is sufficient for both.

If this is the case, looking at the upstairs manifold, my troubleshooting s equence would be...

  1. Check that the pump is running when you believe heat is required - if yo u locate any room stats, turn them up to full. E.g. you can feel it vibrate if it is on.
  2. If not, adjust the pump speed to see if that alters anything.
  3. If still no pump, I would check that you are getting power at the pump t erminals. If yes - probably dead pump. If no - would need to trace wiring issue - maybe fuse? Could also be a problem with the white/ yellow box cut ting out the power as it things the temp is too high.

  1. If the pump is working, check that there is hot water entering valve 1. If no, try changing the setting. If still no joy, maybe the valve has stuc k closed (or partly) or there is something before this that is stopping the water. Maybe the issue is that the downstairs pump is set too high compar ed to the upstairs pump and therefore "stealing" the water.

  1. The other option could be that valve 2 has stuck closed (or partly close d) so no flow can happen - try same as with valve 1 above.

If you still have no heat.... not sure what to suggest. Air in the pipes?

thanks

Lee.

Reply to
leenowell

I suspect ARW used "expect" in the sense of "it's what I would expect if it were my system". It doesn't look like there is any individual room control other than a lockshield valve on each circuit.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Looking at your plans, you have 6 circuits upstairs and 4 downstairs and that photo must therefore be of the upstairs manifold.

It looks like there is a four way manifold under the stairs downstairs. It would be helpful to know if this manifold has it's own pump.

If the upstairs just isn't heating up, it may be a dead pump in the upstairs system. The white box with the question mark is probably the overheat stat that trips at 60c to protect your floors. It doesn't *look* like the kind that needs resetting but you never know, if it has a reset button it won't do any harm to press it (working on the off chance that it's tripped at sometime and has cut the pump off).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

On my manifold there are screw on caps which can (a) be screwed hard down to shut the circuit permanently off or (b) be replaced with a wax capsule actuator.

Ther are white caps on the manifold in the photo. Try removing em

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for that Lee

Reply to
ss

Thanks Tim some more points to check out.

Reply to
ss