Water tank on roof - question about weight

Hello,

I'm in the process of installing a rain water tank on my flat roof to store water to water the garden with during the summer. I've bought a

200 litre plastic tank (weighing 200 kilogram when full), and was wondering if flat roofs in general can take this weight. I was thinking of setting the tank on two 1 metre concrete beams, side by side, to spread out the weight, but these together with a concrete block I was also thinking of putting in the tank to stop it blowing away when empty, is also extra weight.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks, Paul

Reply to
ppmoore

I'd say no. Though it really depends on the roof.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You'll need to get a structural surveyor to assess this in conjunction with determining the roof structure. Note the roof also needs to support a depth of snow.

I had a structural surveyor check before I removed an upstairs wall which was not far from the storage tanks in the loft. Fortunately in my case, the water tank weight was spread across 6 of the A frame ceiling joists with a well sprung timber frame, so he said none of the upstairs walls were supporting it. Indeed, when I pulled off the coving, I found the wall didn't actually go right up to the ceiling, and had been built after the ceiling was plasterboarded ;-) But this is the sort of thing than needs checking first.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I agree with the other posters, but instead of concrete how about two or more 3x3 tanalised fence posts, say 2 metres long. Set perpendicular to the joists, if you can determine which way they run. Rather than a concrete block inside you could bolt the tank on to the posts with coach bolts, penny washers, and silicone or mastic to seal.

Reply to
Newshound