Water strainers

I'm about to finally ditch my old CI boiler in favour of a Bosch condensing system boiler. It had been my understanding that fitting a strainer in the boiler circuit was recommended to help prevent blockage in the heat exchanger etc. However I've scoured the installation manual and can find no reference to fitting strainers.

Are they no longer deemed to be required?

If I do fit one, do they have to be vertical or can they be fitted at any angle?

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

They are often only fitted on old systems, also magnetic devices to catch rust particles. If you get bits of rust/steel in your new boiler it will mess it up in a big way.

ernox/Item5165

Reply to
harry

In article , Bob Minchin writes

I wouldn't design a system without one, I was very careful with the system here, using all the right inhibitors but something went wrong and I had some corrosion. The return side strainer caught it all though so it didn't reach the boiler/heat exchanger and it has provided an easy inspection point for a system health check. I used a bsp threaded strainer one size larger than the system pipe size (22mm) to reduce the risk of a flow restriction from a partially blocked strainer.

The design of a Y strainer is a bit daft really, you want it on the return side just before the boiler but if you put it on the last vertical leg up to the boiler the collection 'cup' faces upwards so you have to wipe out any clag manually. Best would be horizontally with the chamber cap facing downwards or on a 45deg twist but that makes accessibility for cleaning our more awkward.

Full flow ball valves on either side make the cleaning out easier and a little squirt on the system side valve will give the cup a little wash out.

If I install another system I may spend 100quid on a magnaclean clone as there are variants to suit vertical installations and I think the crud lands on the magnet or in a detachable bowl. Someone here has recommended a brand other than magnaclean as the bowl seals on the originals are reputed to leak.

Reply to
fred

Something like this.

Look for magnetic water filters. Local plumbers merchants will usually have at least one on display.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

In message , harry writes

We have been *strongly* advised to have a Magnaclean fitted upon installation of our replacement WB boiler, (next week - good timing).

Reply to
usenet2012

The MagnaClean filter seems a lot more common these days, the earlier ones did leak but this has apparently been sorted on the later ones. It catches both magnetic and non magnetic dirt. You could also look at a Spirotech Magnabooster but I don't know how effective it is.

Reply to
gremlin_95