Water stains on solid pine furnature

Hi,

I have some solid pine bedside cabinets which have some untidy water stains on them. What's the quickest and easiest way to tidy them up? I don't want to spend a huge amount of time since I will be selling the things afterwards.

TIA, M

Reply to
Me

Depends on the finish. On a wax surface try a hot iron and a piece of kitchen roll.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Wood-effect sticky backed plastic.

Reply to
Phil

I'd put some oil onto a wad of fine wire wool and I'd rub around the area of the stains.After a while the stains will partially disappear and partially blend in with their surroundings. continue outward toward the edges of the panel, lightening the rubbing to feather the effect. When satisfied, wipe of the oil residue with some white spirits and either wax the panel or apply whatever finish you prefer. It won't necessarily look as pristine as when in it's original state but this can be described as character.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Thanks for the reply.

What kind of oil would be suitable for this?

Cheers, M

Reply to
Me

I'd use linseed oil out of habit but any vegetable oil would do, as you're not going to need to leave much on there. The oil performs 2 functions. It reduces and smooths the scratching effect of the wire wool and it feeds the area of the water marks in such a way as to reduce their contrast with adjacent areas.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack