water softeners?

Its perfectly healthy to drink.

Unless you go for about 20 gallons a day, in which case your sodium level will be boosted as much as if you had eaten a bag of crisps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Where does it say anything about ion exchange resin? I'm looking at:

John Stumbles

As suspected, it's a polyphosphate dosing system. Scale reduction, yes. Softening, no.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sorry if I got the terminology incorrect? As you've already found out, the replacement cartridge says it contains phosphate so I assumed that the phosphate ions were exchanged with the sodium/chloride ones.

Reply to
Fred

AIUI, there is some kind of coating effect on the heated surfaces that prevents scale from forming

Reply to
Andy Hall

Does it really work?

If it had been ion exchange I would have believed in it but the phosphate coating of elements sounds to me much like magnetising the water molecule and all those other daft claims! I am happy to be proven wrong though.

Reply to
Fred

That one is kosher and there is a known mechanism for it to work

Google for phosphate dosing descaling.

Reply to
Andy Hall