Water Softeners

Well it's got to that stage on the house build where the new bathroom is about to be plumbed in, and I want to avoid the dreaded limescale.

Has anyone got any recommendations on a suitable water softener for a 5 bed house, with one bathroom, one en-suite, and the usual array of water guzzling appliances.

Any advice appreciated!

Reply to
Quiggles

I'm happy with the one I've just bought. It is a twin cylinder water powered metered unit (the best type).

There are basically 3 different designs for ion-exchange water softeners.

  1. Timed single cylinder. The worst type, but cheapest. A timer is set to regenerate every few days. This means you alternate between running out of soft water and wasting salt and water regenerating unnecessarily. The saved money over a metered system will soon be lost to salt wastage alone, let alone any metered water wastage.
  2. Metered single cylinder. More expensive, but a vast improvement. The system meters water use and tries to predict if you will run out during the next day. If so, it regenerates overnight. It still can't provide soft water during the regeneration cycle, although hopefully you won't be using water at night. It may waste a little salt or go a bit hard if the prediction is out.
  3. Metered twin cylinder. Most expensive. Never runs out and never wastes salt. When the metering indicates that the cylinder is exhausted, it switches supply to the other cylinder and regenerates the exhausted one. This way there is always soft water available, even during regeneration. Regeneration can occur at any time of day or night. No electrical supply is needed to run timers or microcontrollers to determine when to regenerate.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

[snip]

I've got mine set with a 10% wastage factor built-in.

Reckon it costs me another bag of salt per year, but I never get hard water and saved a load of dosh on the purchase of a twin.

Your choice, 2 or 3 - don't buy a 1.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Try Permutit - has been atound for 3 generations, possibly America first

- only 14 years in market

Jim Gregory

Dunno. I have one doing that job, but for the life of me I can';t remember what its called. # Uses a bag of salt a month.

Get one with a high flow a rate..

Paid about 600 IIRC. B

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whatever you do make sure that you take drinking/cooking water from a non softened tap!

Most water softeners will add a certain amount of sodium to the water which can be harmful to health.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Yes. Its almost as much as a packet of crisps adds..if you drink a whole bathtub.

Very dangerous, drinking a whole bathtub.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Umm... no.

There is more sodium in a slice of bread than several litres of softened water.

Of course, you may wish to eat other things than bread for health reasons, but the amount of sodium is not an issue.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's still quite potable. They just don't recommend it for babies under 1 year old and people on an ultra-low sodium diet.

Compared to the amount of salt adding during cooking, it is nothing.

You are required to have a hard water tap in the kitchen, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

|> Whatever you do make sure that you take drinking/cooking water from a |> non softened tap! | |It's still quite potable. They just don't recommend it for babies under 1 |year old and people on an ultra-low sodium diet. | |Compared to the amount of salt adding during cooking, it is nothing.

We gave up cooking with salt years ago, except home made bread.

|You are required to have a hard water tap in the kitchen, though.

Not in my area, the soft water comes straight off the peat moors ;o)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

So did I, even for bread. However, the salt that is naturally present in many ingredients far outweighs that you will get from ion-exchange softened water.

OK, not hard water, but not artifically softened...

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I wouldn't be too smug. ;-)

Some surveys show people living in soft water areas are more prone to heart trouble than in hard water ones.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A statistic somewhat skewed by the deep fried Mars Bars in Glasgow, I suspect!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Firstly, I haven't got a water softener (yet) but did discuss such device at a trade show ... the stand-guy said it's a requirement to have a tap off the rising main .... although I'd interpreted this to mean a (drinking) tap _within_ the kitchen and adjacent to the sink the guy said the regulations didn't _actually_ specify this (and an external garden tap would meet the literal requirement!). {Don't try this at home, children!]

This reminds me of a tale from water-board man I knew (before they all became owned by foreigners and transmogrified into 'companies') ... apparently there was a village serviced by his water board with water extracted from a 'well'. On assay the water was determined to have a surfeit of xxxx! What was the effect of imbibing xxxx by the inhabitants(customers)? Apparently, the villagers' life expectancy would be limited to seventy-five years! What did the water-board do about the problem? Nothing, nada!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

That's Glasgow, the land of deep fried pizzas and Mars bars and excessive smoking.

Even so, naturally soft water isn't higher in sodium.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

IME, the deep fried pizzas were better. However, it was the peat content coming out of the tap which gave the water real body and a unique taste.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

Glasgow is the only soft water area in the UK?

Dunno what the reason or theory is.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

We did too.

Why exclude home made bread? We don't use salt there either.

Reply to
<me9

No, although it does seem that most of the reports about increased CHD emanate from there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Umm..yes.

It has a cumulative effect.

Southern water (and I assume other water boards) insist on a seperate unsoftened tap so as not to breach the water supply regulations.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix