Water softener recommendations?

I'm shortly to be switching over to all-new plumbing system (with thermal store), and want to get a water softener sorted out now (no a proper one, not the ones running on magnets and psychic energy).

What makes have you experience of?

What should I look out for?

What do you recommend?

(1 bath, 2 showers, 3 wc, oil fired heating to thermal store)

Reply to
dom

I guess like most people I've only got experience of one model, that being the one I 've got. That said it's wonderful, if a little expensive. On the basis of recommendations here I got an East Midland Water Company twin tank a couple of years ago, I add salt when it needs it and it does the rest.

Things about this model which are better than others: Being twin tank it meters the water usage and regenerates when it needs to rather than on some guestimate of usage. The swap over when it decides to regenerate is just barely noticeable as a slightly reduced flow for a second or so. As it's twin tank the water is still softened while it's regenerating - important for us as we have a *lot* of glass in the shower etc. I doesn't need electricity - not that that would have been a problem if it did. It runs 22mm in and out and doesn't seem to reduce the flow much at all.

Thinks about this model which are worse than others: Cost - about twice the cheapest

Overall I'd happily recommend it.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

In message , Calvin Sambrook writes

Ours is a Nuwave MD 600 can't remember the price 700ukp?

Single tank so overnight regenerate but the metering gives a huge salt saving over the old fixed setting job.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb