Water Softener for combi in very hard water area

Page 2 of 4

he gave no evidence and the only dissenter.

but
has
Not him an employee, or subbie.

I think he mean descale rather than soften. he has satisfied customers too, and will refund.

There was nothing of any substance from anybody who posted in that thread.

Which is why I said "familial". As he admits himself, he has only been using the thing for a few months.

Who knows? the comments are totally confused and hardly inspire any confidence.

He's hardly likely to post that he has dissatisfied customers, now is he?

good to hear....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote:> >he gave no evidence and the only dissenter.

Andy, how would you know.

Personally. yet he has had excellent results in the field with customers. That is why he got one.

Why not. he could say. Oh Tosh! these don't work I have tried them. he never and said the opposite.

And the customers said it worked and kept it.

It seemed pretty obvious to me that this was a thread of the blind leading the blind.
Put it another way.
I know from personal experience that ion exchange softeners work. I can test the water and I know that less detergent is required than without. I also know the chemical processes by which they work.
I know from personal experience that phosphate dosing works. I have seen the results of that and again there is a well understood mechanism.
I have seen from the experience of neighbours using exactly the same water supply that I have that electronic and magnetic conditioners don't work. Everybody that has bought one has taken it back for a refund. There has never been a reliable scientific explanation of why the mechanisms used would work in a domestic setting. At best, there are a few people who claim that there is some positive effect. Given that, and the efficacy of the other two methods, the exercise seems pointless.

When somebody admits they have a personal contact with the supplier of something, I take that into account when they sing the praises of it, that this might not be an unbiased view.

or they didn't notice that there was no effect but didn't care.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No one said they didn't work.

Mine works. And these pros tended to agree they worked too, who have greater exposure than you.

I never, and the poster said he customers do send them back.

customers.
He knew someone who did. Not himself.

If you read it he was called to a scaled up Responses, descaled it and fitted a Scalewatcher. The customer would know the difference.

"not worth their salt" was the comment from a not-disinterested "pro"

I suspect their main exposure is their backsides in the plumber's merchants.

...until the next heat exchanger is required, anyway.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

That was clearly price performance, space taken up, etc. That was clear.

LOL, such wonder Little Middle England humour.

Why, do you know about Responses and the scale?

.. and they let you out?

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

They thought me so brilliant they didn't want me to go.

Didn't Randle Patrick McMurphy say something like that.?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

just
the
I don't know, was he at the same Hossy?

He could easily have been.....
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

To add to this, there are considerable differences in ion exchange water softeners. The two main differences are the method of regeneration and the flow rates of the system.
Maximum flow rates and pressure drops vary from valve design to valve design. All are suitable for topping up a loft tank. However, a house on a mains pressure system, such as a combi boiler, unvented cylinder, or heat bank must choose wisely to ensure that the pressure drop for the expected flow rate is low, and that the system is capable of performing the ion exchange at such a high flow rate without letting hard ions through.
When installing a high flow rate system, it is best to throw away the washing machine hoses provided and use full bore valves and fixed pipework, leaving only the valve and cylinders to reduce flow rate capacity.
As for the method of regeneration, there are many strategies. The cheapest is to use a timer to regenerate in the middle of the night every 'x' days. The disadvantages of this is that the system may regenerate too frequently when usage is low and run out with usage is high.
A metered system regenerates after a certain amount of water is used. This prevents wastage, but means that regeneration may occur at an inconvenient point and allow hard water through.
A combination system will regenerate during the night after the system is mostly depleted. Some systems of this type are very sophisticated and will predict your usage depending on past usage to determine the best time to regenerate. Some can do a non-full regeneration if they consider it optimum.
The best systems, however, simply have two canisters. When the metering indicates a change, the system swaps over and the depleted canister is regenerated. This gives soft water 24 hours a day and minimum wastage of water and salt. These systems typically cost much more, around the 1000 pounds mark, rather than 500 for a high flow rate sophisticated meter, or 300 for a cheapo timed version.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

And at 5 a month for salt, that's a lot of months before they pay for themselves.

Don't forget the detergent and shampoo savings. That generally mopre than covers the salt cost.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

You are kidding.

You'll have so much soap you'll use more water to get rid of it.

After a short while, you realise that you can use much less and do so.
If you look at the recommended dosings of detergents, it ranges from 2:1 to 3:1 between hard and soft water.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Nope. I posted calculations on this before based on real numbers. I'm not doing it again. Look on Google Groups if you want to find it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM wrote:

No, he isn't. Maybe you don't use soap tho.
The Great Unwashed?