I know this has been discussed many times before on this NG but just wondered if anyone had any personnel recommendations drawing from their own experience rather than anecdotal evidence.

Ion exchange works very well. Phosphate dosing works a bit. Electronic/magnetic conditioning works for those who believe in the tooth fairy.
Christian.
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:06:55 +0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

Asking how it works will surely cause it to cease doing so!
The manufacturers may quibble about feeding the boiler softened water but AFAIK there is no good reason why this should cause any problems.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I was in a hospital last week and before all electric water heating appliances they in-line magnetic descalers made by Liff.

...and the placebo effect is very well known in the medical world.
-- Richard Sampson

Not to hard nosed engineers it s not.
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 21:34:10 +0000, IMM wrote:

Do you seriously think that the person specifiying what to install was an engineer? Probably not even an architect, might even have been left to the whim of the installer. Especially if there was a something to be gained from doing so.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

There was a lot of them about. It appeared it was decision from the top engineer. They don't do that unless they have some sort of evidence of effectiveness.
Hospitals use very large electronic descalers. They used to use large boxes on the wall. I first came across them over 20 years ago, and they were very effective. They were made in Holland. I think they still do on some steam calorifiers.

see: http://www.gas-news.co.uk/discus/messages/18/476.html? search on Liff and Scalewatcher
and.. http://www.plumbingpages.com/forums/printthread.cfm?Forum &TopicG4 search on Liff and Scalewatcher

Have you read the rest of the articles on that page? Are these people meant to be professional installers? They look more like a convention of court jesters to me.
They need to have seminars on how condensing boilers work? Good grief!

nothing there apart from a few articles from "professionals" who should know better and one from a manufacturer.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

I only looked atbthe Liff bits.

You mean they state the electronic Scalewatchers work from experience, and one says salt softeners are "pants". I will use Cockneyisms to communicate with you better.

It's always important to validate the credentials of the contributor and the context before quoting. It is somewhat concerning that these individuals are having to go to condensing boiler seminars when they are supposed to be industry or trade professionals. Condensing boilers are hardly new technology are they?

If I do a word search for "pants" on both pages that you mention, it does not appear as far as I can see. Can you clarify......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

It was a corrosion, and one maker gave a brief talk on how condensers work.

The word "pants" is for your comprehension.

?????
I know what it means. So, the article reference please.........

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Go to those links I gave. Men in the trade. Where the consensual opinion was: soften water go salt, descale go Scalewatcher electronic.
One said the salt ones were a waste of time. I agree.

If these are men in the trade, then I can see why DIY is attractive.

I'm not sure that they would even know what consensual sex is.

about waste referred to waste of money and in connection with electronic devices. Can you point to the specific article, the author and date?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
<<<<<

"Familial" connections to the UK distribution manager........
Further on he goes on to say:
"The Scale watcher DOES NOT - as scruff says soften water. It creates the same effect as softened water without adding anything to the supply. It mearly (for want of a better term) alters the water passing through it. "
Which is, of course, complete nonsense.