Water Softener for combi in very hard water area

I know this has been discussed many times before on this NG but just wondered if anyone had any personnel recommendations drawing from their own experience rather than anecdotal evidence.

Reply to
much_to_do

Ion exchange works very well. Phosphate dosing works a bit. Electronic/magnetic conditioning works for those who believe in the tooth fairy.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

We live in a very hard water area and have just fitted a "proper" (ion exchange) water softener.

We chose a sensotronic 614 which was quite expensive at £800 but I wish we'd done it years ago - it's FANTASTIC

DO IT ASAP

Nick

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Got a CombiMate on mine, doses the water with PolyPhosphate. It works very well, but, bath water is more then a little scummy, doesn't bother me but could easily bother others.

Reply to
Martin

ROFL Asking how it works will surely cause it to cease doing so!

The manufacturers may quibble about feeding the boiler softened water but AFAIK there is no good reason why this should cause any problems.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I was in a hospital last week and before all electric water heating appliances they in-line magnetic descalers made by Liff.

Reply to
IMM

...and the placebo effect is very well known in the medical world.

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Not to hard nosed engineers it s not.

Reply to
IMM

I have an electronic box made by Aqua Dial. It is about 80% plus successful. I also have a phosphor canister descaler. This is better. I haven't put both together. but it would be a nice experiment.

Reply to
IMM

That £800 pay for a lot of phosphor canisters.

Reply to
IMM

Do you seriously think that the person specifiying what to install was an engineer? Probably not even an architect, might even have been left to the whim of the installer. Especially if there was a something to be gained from doing so.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

There was a lot of them about. It appeared it was decision from the top engineer. They don't do that unless they have some sort of evidence of effectiveness.

Hospitals use very large electronic descalers. They used to use large boxes on the wall. I first came across them over 20 years ago, and they were very effective. They were made in Holland. I think they still do on some steam calorifiers.

Reply to
IMM

see:

search on Liff and Scalewatcher

and..

on Liff and Scalewatcher

Reply to
IMM

.. and they let you out?

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

They thought me so brilliant they didn't want me to go.

Reply to
IMM

Yes but we know that you believe in the tooth fairy..

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It doesn't matter how many you put in, they won't soften the water.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Go to those links I gave. Men in the trade. Where the consensual opinion was: soften water go salt, descale go Scalewatcher electronic.

One said the salt ones were a waste of time. I agree.

Reply to
IMM

It is pretty certain he wants descaled water.

Reply to
IMM

Have you read the rest of the articles on that page? Are these people meant to be professional installers? They look more like a convention of court jesters to me.

They need to have seminars on how condensing boilers work? Good grief!

nothing there apart from a few articles from "professionals" who should know better and one from a manufacturer.

.andy