Water Seal Prime Plywood for Tiling

Hi All, I am going to tile my bathroom floor to do that,

I have laid 8mm internal grade plywood on suspended wooden floor

I now want to prime, water seal the plywood before laying tiles on it.

Could someone please tell me what can i get from B&Q or Wicks that would be good for this job.

I have spend a lot of time in these stores staring at various stuff, in wood care section, but that seem to more for garden fenses and etc.

I be very grateful for your help.

Ps I have fixed the plywood with pannel pins and nails, seem to be holding good so far is this OK? Do I need to screw them? and please what sort of screw would I need for this job.

Many Many Thanks for you help MA

Reply to
Mo Thanku

Buy some PVA, the cheapest stuff in B&Q will be near the cement/plasterboard/sheet materials etc - it comes in a red container. Apply to plywood, as per instructions on pack - usually 1:5 (pva:water) followed by 1:3 as a minimum.

Yes, you should secure the plywood with screws as nails can pull out over time (probably not, but you don't want to discover that they have after your tiles are laid!). Make sure whatever you buy is shorter than the thickness of the ply+the floorboards, as we don't want to be puncturing any pipes...

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

Hi,

This might do it:

If the area is going to get wet quite often or remain wet for a while it may be best to use a waterproof tile backer and use waterproof tile adhesive:

It's best to reseach things before going to the DIY store, also they don't always have everything you need.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Why ? The tiles will seal the floor from any water on the floor and the tile cement won't have that much impact on the wood. I got a professional to lay my tiles as I didn't fancy cutting expensive tiles and he didn't say anything about sealing the plywood. The floor's been down for 5 years without any problems.

Oh and by the way - it's screws; just short ones.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham