Water saver bag for cistern ?

I received a free water saver bag from my water company today, basically you pop it in the cistern and it saves you 1 litre per flush. I got it in, but unsure exactly how it works.

When I put it in there were some what felt loose gravel in the plastic water saver bag and I'm guessing could this absorb water for slow release or something ?

Interesting gizmo, not sure if it works though :)

Reply to
Pete

We just did that topic! ;)

(or )

Reply to
Lobster

)

DOH! and I thought my post would be as unique as my dress sense.

Reply to
Pete

More likely gravel to weight it down.

When the cistern is full the bag should be below the water level and fills quickly.

When the cistern empties the water escapes from the bag more slowly through a small hole.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Why, though ... ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

What's wrong with a brick?

Reply to
Bob Martin

With a bag, loosely filled with gravel, you can 'mould' it around obstructions and squeeze it into corners. You can't do that with a brick.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Finished reading that thread :) .. thanks again for the link chap.

Hmmm still wondering if its a good idea to leave it in or not, well its doing no harm in I guess. But I wonder if fitting a dual flush is that way to go.

Reply to
Pete

snipped-for-privacy@1g2000yqq.googlegroups.com...

Why what ... ? Why bother with one? Why does the water escape through the hole?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

It doesn't fill and empty like a bag :-)

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Tongue in cheek, old boy ! "Why, though ... ?" is a general comment to imply "What's the bloody point ?". Maybe it's a regional thing ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

If you're that concerned about saving water then dig a hole in the garden and dump in that, when full dig another hole and carry on. By the time you've gone round the whole garden the first lot will have rotted down. Plant suitable crops and you can feed yourself without the use of artificial fertiliser. :)

Or simply harvest rainwater from the roof into a water butt, pump it to a header tank in the loft and use to flush the bogs, a subject covered in detail here many times in the past.

In the grand scheme of things water usage in the UK isn't really an issue unless you live in the South East where it rains less than the Horn of Africa. I could say the solution is to move people from the south east to somewhere else with lots of rain but that ruins it for the rest of us, so probably the best solution is that they slowly die of thirst.

Reply to
The Other Mike

A perfect dissertation for my "Why, though ...?" comment that confused people ! Cheers Other Mike !

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

put a brick in the tank ...

Reply to
Rick Hughes

"You don't wanna do that...", toilets are designed to use a certain amount of water to flush properly, this stuff was all worked out by the Victorians, after urbanisation led to serious health problems. Makeshift alterations to sanitary appliances are a false economy, health must always come first, if you go down with gastro-enteritis or suchlike and can't work, then you really will have money problems.

Reply to
alexander.keys1

?????????????? What exactly are you replying to ... ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily