water pressure reducing valves and a water leak

Hello,

I posted this under "mains water" but no-one has looked at it, so I'm reposting with a more descriptive title.

Our pipes keep making "kicking" noises when the (cold) taps are turned on. I saw that a PRV was cheaper to buy than a pressure gauge so I bought the Comap PRV from Screwfix. Has anyone used one of these? How do they work to reduce the pressure?

part 63442:

I fitted the supplied gauge but could not leave it in place permanently because it leaked. Do you have the same problem with yours or is mine faulty? I wonder why they don't supply a washer of some sort to stop this?

With the screw turned to allow maximum pressure, my supply appeared to be 4 (bars?). Turned down to the recommended 3 (bars?) the kicking noises have gone.

It came with some clever adaptors that allow 15mm pipe to fit inside

22mm connections, I presume by friction. Are these reliable?

I couldn't find them when I had a very quick look at Screwfix but they are like part 23608 at Toolstation:

Whilst on my hands and knees under the stairs where the water enters the house, I found that there is a slight leak. The water enters the house in a black plastic pipe. This pipe looks 22mm. It goes into what looks like a 22mm to 15mm straight adaptor from which runs 15mm copper to the stop c*ck. The 22 to 15mm compression fitting and the pipes were wet. Possibly the copper pipe was wet from condensation onto the cold pipe but I would not expect the plastic pipe to have condensation; I'm thinking that it is more likely that there is a leak.

There's not much of the plastic pipe to play with. What's the best solution: change the 22mm olive? Should I use one of those Fernox leak sealing pastes?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen saying something like:

It's a spring-driven thing. When you adjust the doodah, you actually load or unload the spring to the desired pressure.

It's often a taper thread on those, so a layer of PTFE tape will do it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Is this happening on all of the cold taps in the house and are they mains pressure fed?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'm sure I've seen a cross-section that shows a spring but I still can't work out how a spring can reduce the water pressure.

Why didn't I think of that!?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

Hello. Yes, all cold taps (except bath) are mains fed and the pipes knock(ed) when any of these taps or the washing machine opens.

Reply to
Stephen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon

Washing machine hoses tend to be the cause of this problem - a shockwave causes them to expand slightly and then cause a sort of recoil. Do you have several in the house - if they are not really well reinforced then the problem can be worse.

Reply to
John

Only one washing machine but there is also a dishwasher, and I guess their hoses are the same? Perhaps I should have replaced these? Too late now but I know for next time. Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen