water pressure?

Hello,

In the last week or two I have noticed every time a tap is switched on, or the toiler flushed, or the washing machine on, etc. there is a bit of a thud as the water starts flowing. Is this a symptom of high water pressure "kicking" the pipes? Don't water companies increase the pressure at certain times of the year (now?). Is there anything I can do? Fit a pressure reducing valve at the stop c*ck?

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

I cannot be certain, but I would definitely advocate getting a pressure reducing valve fitted if you have any doubt. A couple of years ago, while on holiday, my water softener "exploded" flooding my kitchen. The Culligan engineer said it was because the water pressure had doubled since the unit was installed. Water suppliers only have a minimum pressure obligation, not a maximum AFAIK. I imagine that items such was washing machines may only be certified up to a certain water pressure.

I got a plumber to fit the device, but it was not too expensive

Reply to
jives11

Why would they do this?

(I have my suspicions, not unconnected with the junkmail they send me every 2 months trying to pressure me into buying their bursting pipes insurance, but surely I'm being too cynical there. Surely?)

john

Reply to
jal

In our case, and in many other peoples cases, pressure is determined by some bloody great header tank that gets pumped up.

It is what the fall is. End of story.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps I imagined it but I thought I was told it was to stop the pipes freezing in the winter but thinking about it surely they are supposed to be buried deep enough that they don't freeze?

Reply to
Stephen