Water pressure

I live in a 3d floor flat. For the past 6 weeks I have had problems with water pressure (supplied by Scottish Water). I have an electric shower which will not work properly when the water pressure is low (either goes hot and cold, or doesn't go on at all). The only time my shower will work is after midnight when I presume there is low usage by

my neighbours.

I have also noticed low pressure in my kitchen taps but this is not a real problem. I have tried adjusting the water pressure from the mains but already had this on max. Having lived here for 3 years, this is the

first time I have had such a problem. On 2 previous occassions, low pressure issues were reported to Scottish Water and fixed within 24 hours.

I have phoned Scottish Water on several occassions and each time I am told a different story as to why the water pressure is low. e.g. burst pipe, air lock, maintenance in my area. So far they have said they have

fixed each of these but the low pressure problem has remained.

I would be grateful for some advice on this. Having to stay up late at night for the sole reason to have a shower is quite inconvenient for me. Can this issue be escalated elsewhere or do I just have to wait and

see with Scotitsh Water? And are there any tests I can do at home? I do not have a water pressure gauge.

Reply to
AmyGG

You can't measure the pressure without a gauge ('cos sticking your thumb over the end of the tap and turning it on ain't very accurate ) - but you can get a gauge for a tenner or so from the likes of Screwfix, and install it in your pipework.

However, you *can* measure flow rate with just a calibrated bucket and stopwatch. I believe that there is a minimum standard for the flow which your water company is obliged to deliver to your main tap - the one nearest to the incoming stop tap, maybe in the kitchen. If you turn the tap on full, and collect the water for one minute and then weigh it in Kg, this will gaive the flow rate in litres/minute. [Zero the bathroon scales with the empty bucket on, and then weigh it again with a minute's worth of water in it].

If a minute overflows the bucket, do it for half a minute and double the reading. If your scales only weigh in pounds, collect the water for 27 seconds - and the number of pounds collected will be equal to the flow rate in litres per minute.

If you collect lots of data at various times of the day, you'll have something with which to confront your water company.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Roger, thank you for your reply. The problem is, in the kitchen tap, the water pressure is fine if I turn the tap on full. The difference is only noticed here because in one turn, the tap is very weak whereas one turn used to allow water to come out with as much pressure was what now turning it on full will.

While I don't mind so much about the kitchen pressure, the pressure change confirms to me that this is also why the shower isn't working properly (in addition to the low pressure warning light on the shower). And unlike the kitchen taps, I don't have the option of turning the water on full blast in the shower.

Reply to
AmyGG

I understand what you're saying, but the water company is only responsible for the supply up to the point where it enters your property. If there are inadequately sized pipes, scale, etc. in your internal pipework which prevents water from being delivered to the point of use in adequate quantities, I'm afraid that is *your* problem, not theirs.

This is why it is important to check the flow at the point of entry, and hit them with *that* if it doesn't meet the minimum statutory requirement.

Reply to
Roger Mills

According to their website,

"Write to: Customer Relations Manager, Scottish Water, PO Box 8855, Edinburgh, EH10 6YQ

Telephone our Customer Helpline on 0845 601 8855 and ask for the Customer Relations team.

We aim to deal with your telephone contact there and then. If we cannot do this we will ring you back. We will offer you a written response. For those instances where we need to investigate your complaint we will respond to you within 10 days."

Email customer dot service at scottishwater dot co dot uk

The regulators are

on your behalf, we will ensure that you, the consumer, are given a voice. We will also take forward complaints you have against Scottish Water that have not been resolved to your satisfaction.

Water Industry Commission for Scotland monitors Scottish Water?s financial, investment and customer service performance,

Owain

Reply to
Owain

But if the pressure at the kitchen tap is OK - albeit when turned full on - then surely you can appreciate that the water company are providing your flat with adequate pressure? And why can't you turn up the shower to full blast if it's not enough?

I do think you may be confusing pressure with flow rate...

Suggest one of these would be a good investment:

- you can simply screw it to your washing machine valve in place of the hose and it will tell you what pressure you actually have (and whether it does vary over the day).

David

Reply to
Lobster

The shower cannot be turned full blast - it is electric and can only be set to low, medium and high (up till midnight, neither medium or high work, and low is far too low!).

Perhaps I am getting confused with pressure and flow rate... the warning light indicates 'low flow'. Sorry, didn't realise these were different things.

Reply to
AmyGG

AFAIK you can only get water hammer (vibrating pipes) if you have plenty of water pressure. Usually due to a worn cistern ball valve seat/washer allowing very slight movenment that resonates with water in pipes insufficiently supported. So more evidence of plenty of pressure.

u.diy added

ps What they aren't telling you about DNA profiles and what Special Branch don't want you to know.

nutteingd in a search engine.

Reply to
Paul Nutteing (valid email add

If Scottish Water have been working on the mains then you may have some crud blocking the shower head, try removing the hose from the head and see if the flow is still low with the shower flow set to max (temp to minimum). Use the method described by Roger to measure the flow, it's the only way to be objective, and compare it with the flow in the kitchen. You'll need some solid information to beat up SW with.

Reply to
fred

I don't think the problem would be in my shower head as my neighbours are also having the same problem with water pressure. Thanks, I will use Roger's method.

Reply to
AmyGG