Water pipe

My inlaws have recently moved and the washing machine is out in the garage. Recently the water has stopped flowing. Now the blue pipe comes up throught the floor, across the ceiling and down the wall. I tried it today too and its still not working not a drop out of it. Is it possible for it to be still frozen with absolutely not one drop of water coming from it. No on and off tap to it. Just a pipe from the ground with the end being on the wall and a connector that you fit the washer pipe onto.

I would have thought it would have thawed by now. This is in Preston Lancashire Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Ben Short

Whilst the description is good, it might not be enough. Going further back along the pipeline, where is it and could it be prone to freezing? Takes a while for frozen pipes to re heat. Could there also be frosticated water in the washer that needs to be thought about?

Will the drain be free flowing?

Reply to
Clot

If the feed pipe to the garage is underground and isn't buried deep enough then prolonged cold can seep down and eventually freeze the pipe underground. After above ground air temperature thaw there can be a sort of semi-permafrost effect that could delay full ground thawing for a few days.

In the recent prolonged cold I've been surprised the mains supply to my house didn't freeze like it did in the last ice age about 13 years ago. Then, I finally found a use for my mother's 1960's Pifco hairdryer, now a classic design. I aimed it down the main water tap vent in the pavement for a day to thaw things out underground.

Toom

Toom

Reply to
Toom Tabard

Thank you both. Today it seems like a faulty blue on and off valve. Will replace it. thanks

Reply to
Ben Short