Water Otter Q's

Hi All,

We have had a Main Avon Thermostatic multipoint 'water otter' (heater ) for at least ~15 years now but I think it's had enough (leaks from the gas / water control valve piston (repairable) and possibly also the heat exchanger core).

Our neighbour had a newer, de-commissioned Main Mersey Super hanging on the wall (and hence my brick question previously) and has given it to me with the idea that it *might* (should) be a fairly easy swap, coming from the same family etc.

The real question (other than would anyone actually know if these two will share a common flue?) is how differently will a non thermostatic model work in practice? i.e. is it still 'thermostatic' but just doesn't have a user adjustable temperature setting or will the water temperature simply be a function of the water flow rate ( moderated by the sink / basin taps etc). If it is the latter then I guess I could set a minimum temperature by limiting the maximum flow rate somewhere?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. We don't have central heating but do enjoy having continuous hot water (even during a power cut ).

Reply to
T i m

The manufactures instructions can be viewed here

would seem that the flue is interchangeable with other models in the range. You should find the answers to any fitting or performance questions.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

I had Googled for some instructions but hadn't found anything.

That's a bit of luck.

All the best and thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I kept mine for the hot water when I did put in central heating.

The more recent Main multipoint heaters were designed to hang on the flues of the older devices. However, the mounting bolts are in different places. When new, you get pieces of pre-cut boiler plate tape to block off the unused mounting holes, which you might have to source elsewhere if refitting. Also, you will probably want to replace the flue seal when fitting to a different flue as it may have deformed to fit the other flue. Check the cabinet seal too in case that also needs replacing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Oh?

Ah ..

I have a roll somewhere .. ;-)

Ok ..

I did give it a once over and although it looks 'ok' (in spite of some of it still being stuck to the other half of the cabinet) I thought I'd replace it once I know the heater works etc (but didn't go as far as investigating how it was stuck on).

Is it a generic part or would I have to go back to Main / whoever please Andrew?

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. Looking closer at the diagrams on the link from Heliotrope it seems that many (most?) of the modules in these heaters are *supposed* to be serviceable, especially the control rod that connects the gas and water valves together (and one of the current minor leak areas on my old heater and something I have stripped, cleaned, re o-ringed, lubed and rebuilt in the past). Maybe .... I'll check how bad that is again and if the other leak is in the old heat exchanger, maybe I could swap them over (saves having to re-do the input pipes and disturb the rear flue seal)?

Reply to
T i m