Water noise

We have changed our water supply from a private supply to a public supply. Water pressure is 2.1 bar- previously it was about 2 bar Occasionally there is a noise which is like a groaning noise as the water comes in What causes this and what can I do about it? Blair

Reply to
bm

Try closing the stopcock a little bit to see if that helps? David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks for your comments I am not sure what you mean by a stop c*ck I have a pressure reducing valve which is set to 2.1 bar and the other control is by the float valve in the storage tank which I don't think can be altered Blair

Reply to
bm

Water meter going round? Ours is under the pavement 25m from the house but at quiet times you can hear the noise transmitted through the pipework.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

Assuming that the pressure control valve is adjustable, try turning it down a little. Failing that, it may be that the float valve needs replacement. My parents have a house in France that suffered from a loud, groaning sound when the toilet cistern refilled (enough to wake people up), we could *just* get rid of it by dropping the pressure (in this case by careful adjustment of the stopcock to slow the water flow, but it was very temperamental. The problem was finally cured by replacing the float valve in the cistern.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Is that when water being drawn direct from the rising main or when it's been drawn froma tank supply?

If it's from a tank supply it's almost certainly the ball valve washer resonating against it's seat. Altering the pressure reducing valve might cure it, so might changing the washer. I say might as these resonance things can be a right pig to cure. The feed into our cold water storeage tanks started doing it after I mess with the pipework, clipping it neatly to the rafters etc. Mistake...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Is there a non-return valve (check valve) somewhere in the system? They often grown - and it may be exacerbated by the increased pressure.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I take it that you are commenting on my "Assuming that the pressure control valve is adjustable" and if so it is perfectly possible to have a valve that has been deliberately locked or damaged to prevent tampering.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker