Water meters

Snap and was pleased that I did. It took them over three weeks to resolve a leak that could otherwise have been on the wrong side of the meter.

Reply to
Clot

I appreciate all the issues that you have raised are valid and need considering; however, on the other side of the coin is the very high standard required of potable water now that requires significant infrastructure spend and increasingly high energy inputs in treatment. If it reduces folks tendency to make profiligate use of water on their cars and gardens then this is a virtue; similarly if it encourages folk to use showers.

Reply to
Clot

Yep - that's one of those things I like about being on a system with a private well; the pump kicking on in the middle of the night makes it very obvious when someone hasn't quite shut a tap off properly, or the toilet cistern valve's having an off moment etc. :-)

Reply to
Jules

I suspect 'average' use is probably far higher than anyone inclined not to be wasteful. Certainly many people I know seem to use far more than us and, while moderate in use, we still use what we want when we want it.

Reply to
Scott M

That's us too. But just two of us living in a high 'rateable value' house means we avoid high 'water rates'.

Friends of mine (a couple) recently moved from their unmetered house to a brand new metered house. The new house has a fitted kitchen with a *new* dishwasher and a *new* washing machine.

They refuse to use the dishwasher because they think it will use too much water and cost them.

They refuse to use the washing machine for the same reason.

They have a caravan, with unmetered water, 15 miles away. They have installed a twin tub washing machine in the caravan (bought in a sale for £10). They drive to the caravan 3 times a week to do their washing.

I'm *not* joking :-(

Reply to
Hugh Jampton

:-)

I thought the 'expense' in dishwashers was solely in the heating of the water, not the actual consumption... no idea what really modern ones are like, though.

(Ours looks like it came out of the Ark, so we've never actually switched it on for fear of it opening a wormhole to another dimension)

Reply to
Jules

90 miles at 12p/mile(ish) just for fuel is =A310.80. Water is about 0.2p/l (supply & sewage) so 5,400l. I doubt very much that a washing machines uses 1,800l/wash. Thats 1.8 cubic meters...

Sadly I'm not surprised.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice