Water Meter Fitting

I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the

29th.

Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle?

TIA.

Ed.

Reply to
Ed_Zep

Why????????? Chances are your bills may now double++

-- Mike W

Reply to
visionset

Yes and it was all done in the pavement outside. Saves me ( only 2 of us in the house though ) about £125 /annun.

It all depends on your existing rateable value and predicted consumption.

It also makes you more aware of water use, which I guess is a good thing in these greener times !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

In message on Sat,

18 Nov 2006, Ed_Zep wrote

Yes and yes; they didn't want to fit it at the external stop tap (buried deep in garden amongst roots) and couldn't find the main where it entered house so ended up fitting it inside alongside mains tap and behind various fittings. This is where I wanted it in first place.

Will save us (high 'rateable value') about £600 per annum - well worth it. I've installed two 1000 litre tanks to store roof water for garden use and only used about a third of the first year's savings.

Reply to
Colin Brook

I doubt it. My friend with 3 kids and a wife who washes their two cars twice a week paid less using a water meter that I did on a the lowest rated band of water rates. I switched over pronto.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

mmmm, I'll have to look into it again then, I was under the impression it was rare to save switching over.

Reply to
visionset

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 14:06:59 GMT someone who may be "visionset" wrote this:-

It is large families and those with particular medical problems that will tend to use more water than average. Other households will generally use less, particularly those living on their own.

Whether using less water than average means a reduction in the number of pounds depends on the prices set for each system of payment. There does seem to be some question of how much water meter rates are in parts of the UK.

Reply to
David Hansen

I've been voluntarily using a water meter for over 20 years in my current house. A bill came yesterday for £63.80 for the last 6 months to cover both water supply, sewage treatment and highway drainage. I do not have to pay for surface water drainage as we have soakaways for all gutters. The household comprises 3 adults using a mix of baths and showers but no car washing.

I've lost track of the relevant water charge based on rateable value would be today but the metered charge dropped to 40% of the RV charge when we switched over.We must have saved a few £k by now.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Profound!

Yes, that was my concern.

Reply to
visionset

My bills have always gone down by 60-70% and that's before I factor in the periods when I work away and the property is empty.

(But I do choose to live in flats and have no garden to water. The rateable value method of calculating water bills takes no account of this).

tim

Reply to
tim(yet another new home)

You think you need to be very wary of this. In my area ( SWW) even the water company admitted to me that a water meter would quadruple my water bills! I would consider my water consumption fairly average or even a bit below.

I also have land drains for roof and most importantly I have no mains drains but SWW told me they would have to make a charge for sewerage disposal as part of the meter charge. They had no way of separating it. Even if they did, they admitted my water rates would treble.

I currently pay £100 a year for water. Average water rate in my area is £400+ with a meter.

I do not have a meter. I pity the poor sods who buy houses and are now forced to have them installed.

Reply to
notpastityet?

I understood that there were legally obliged to do so.

This makes no sense. In SWW the sewage disposal costs are twice the water charge.

So that means you have a rateable value of 24 pounds.

I suspect this puts you in 0.01% of the population.

As is the ratable charge for a property with a rateable value of more than 70. This is still a low RV by national standards.

even in the SWW area the metered charge for a 'normal' RV is still less than the rateable charge for normal usage. SWW is very expensive. Your bill is abnormally cheap.

tim

Reply to
tim(yet another new home)

|On 18 Nov 2006 04:24:13 -0800, "Ed_Zep" wrote: | |>I've arranged for Severn Trent Water to install one one of these on the |>29th. |>

|>Has anyone had one fitted and was/is it a hassle? |>

|>TIA. |>

|>Ed. | | |I hope you don't have a combi boiler, or if you do you don't have to |wait too long for the water to become hot. | |I reckon country wide there will be a large amount of water wasted as |a direct result of using combi-boilers.

I have chosen a Baxi Instant which advertises 7 liters of instant hot water, hope it works.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I hope you don't have a combi boiler, or if you do you don't have to wait too long for the water to become hot.

I reckon country wide there will be a large amount of water wasted as a direct result of using combi-boilers.

Reply to
<me

I believe that SWW do have the dubious honour of being the most expensive company in the country for water supply.

My bills abnormally low though? I dont know to be honest. Its no lower than anyone else with a similar property on a septic tank system in my area

Reply to
notpastityet?

With my new combi I haven't noticed any difference in the run off required compared with the old cylinder. Seems to me that dead leg aside they are equivalent. Other combis may of course differ. Vaillant 837 EcotecPlus. If you're having a bath you need some cold in there anyway. Unless you are scale-scared and have set the water temp as low as possible like me :-(

-- Mike W

Reply to
visionset

Savings by having a meter installed are - for us - considerable but we had to lie about number of occupants to get Three Valleys Water to install one.

I am not convinced - as yet - about water storage for garden use IIRC 2000lt or 2 cu meter of water costs about 2.80GBP not sure worth the hassle of installing 2 IBC's.

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

It's worth it for most people except those who use a hose for the garden (when permitted).

Reply to
Ed Sirett

No need really, the DHW heat exchangers are easy to descale. The tap temperature control is a maxiumum temp control.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ah, right, I'll whack it up a bit - cue up a 'how do you descale the DHW heat exchanger?' in about 12 months then ;-)

Reply to
visionset