water meter

Quite.

People expect to pay more for their beer than drinking water and a lot more for smelly stuff to put in bathing water and nasty chemicals. to put down the lav and ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In message , Mary Fisher wrote

Remove the tax element from beer and you will find that many people are prepared to pay many times more for bottled water.

Reply to
Alan

We can live without gas, electricity and the telephone.

When did Tesco start metering cabbages?

Reply to
Vera

Ah .. 'medication' you call it .. I've seen the other addicts under the railway arches with their little foil packs ...

Or "Dr. Nicholas" as we call him .. nice bloke ;-)

LOL ..

Because I never submit stuff here whilst intoxicated MARY ..?? ;-)

Good grief .. ;-)

My first wife liked mild and I'm a suven lager drinker (Special Brew mainly .. normally goes hand-in-hand with your foil wrapped 'medicine' Mary )... and while I was there I did some bitter. It all seemed to go ok and didn't seem to hang about very long once ready ? ;-)

It's all a matter of taste though isn't it? It could be that someone may actually prefer the taste of their particular home-brew over anything they could buy?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Our water bill is much more than our gas .. the last gas bill was £5.50 ;-) (and we use gas for cooking, water heating and some heating)

Just out of interest ..

Our rateable value is 169

So our water is £108.87 and waste £77.35

As we rarely wash cars, don't have a garden to water, have one loo with a split flush (defaults to min water use) and a small corner bath that's mainly used as a (electric) shower (low volume), do you think we would be much better off on a meter?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I should add the supply cost for the water is £85.00 with a fixed cost of £23. So *if* I reduced the supply cost by 50% by being on a meter I would save £42 / annum? (£30 fixed charge for the waste).

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well they didn't have an "all you can eat" offer on cabbages last time I looked.

Christian.

P.S. Telephones don't have to be metered either. Ours isn't, at least for standard national and local calls.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I wonder how you'd feel if they were witdrawn?

When they found they could increase their hold on suppliers.

But that's another story.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oddly, I'm not an addict, even though some are morphine based. I keep forgetting :-(

You're older than you look!

You could have fooled me!

The shock element of wit.

Oh no it doesn't! In fact, in my opinion it doesn't go hand in had with anything. But I only drink in association with food.

... and while I was there I did some bitter. It all seemed to

Beers of all types were certainly less challenging to achieve a good result. The other day I found some stout I made in the 70s. The fizz has gone (it's in thick bottles with screw in stoppers with knurled tops and decayed rubber washers) but the taste is still good and it's excellent for cooking.

How would they know? No-one can taste everything he can buy even if he could buy everything.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Depends how much you drink ... :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Come on Mary .. you know your first step to recovery is honesty ..

But not wiser .. ;-(

No, not in an ideal sense but if you visit any good doorway or railway arches you will see SB *is* the drink of choice ..

I thought your restraining order prevented from going to the dump any more? ;-)

The fizz has gone (it's

You did your best though didn't you Mary (15 bottles of wine in 12 mins ..) .. you were lucky the staff of Oddbins didn't call the Police .. ! (lucky you are *known* in the area ..)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Was it in the Hitch Hikers Guide ....

".. a certain tourist planet that was eroding away due to the excessive amount of mass being removed by visitors. It is therefore required that you excrete as much as you eat - you get a receipt from the toilet - or the difference is surgically removed before you can leave for home."

T i m ;-)

Reply to
T i m

It'd be dreadful to lose electricity. I could easily do without gas. The telephone could go as long as I had electricity.

Try giving up clean water...

Reply to
Vera

Sadly, there is no recovery for some conditions, just quality of life issues.

I couldn't possibly comment!

I bow to your greater experience ...

House arrest allows access to under the stairs :-)

If you wanted to you'd have to join the queue. It's a long one.

I couldn't manage that any more :-(

And when I could it was Guinness anyway!

A Household Name.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Quite a few places around where I was brought up (rural Yorkshire) have no mains water, and they manage just fine.

Kieran

Reply to
Kieran Mansley

I have done. Animals and Man have done for most of Time, some still do.

The only use for clean water which could be considered *essential* is for drinking. I could do without elecricity or gas, my life would be different, that's all.

How about having just pure drinking water metered? It would be expensive of course ... but worthwhile.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh yes, you remind me of when we spent time on the NYMoors, that was spring water. a friend in Cornwall has only well water. A daughter uses spring water in Wales ... but buys bottled water for drinking. I don't when we stay there ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

But they still have clean water by other means, whether it is from well, spring or stream.

Living without mains electricity would be fine if you had a generator, or hydro plant.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Electricity isn't essential. If it were we wouldn't be here.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I never claimed otherwise. (Leaving aside electrical impulses in the nervous system...)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle