Water mains leak?

I think , I do not know , its just a think , that I may have a leak in my mains coming into my house. This think is based on a number of issues with a dripping tap in the kitchen CW ( refitting washers and still taps drip a couple of days later) and the fact that when I flushed the tap pipe I have got gravel out on two occasions now, despite cleaning the tap system. Fixed stop c*ck washer but still dripping ( again). There is a peculiar hiss ( only audible in the bathroom when the windows are open unfortunately).

So, really I dont know if I have a leak or not! Anyone know how I can find out without digging up a 300 long x 20 wide ( yards) driveway ( best guess as to where the pipe in runs somewhere right through the middle). There is no sign anywhere of water leaking as such.

Also have been told water board may be able to locate the leak if it exists but does anyone know how much they are likely to charge me?

In general , anyone been here and had this problem?

Reply to
mich

If the water company (no boards for a decade or so) discover you have a leak on yr side of their stopcock then they are likely to inform you they will cut you off with x days if not fixed. Get the company's stopcock for your house, normally in the street, turned off for a short while to see if the hissing stops; if it does then you have to pay for the fix on your side. Friend had to dig 30' of front garden down 2' to expose pipe so it could be replaced. Pipe is cheap but labour is not. Water Co connected new pipe to their stopcock for no charge. This was in Essex..

Reply to
BillV

You have poor quality water supply and that is not your fault so get the water board or whatever the criminals that gained pecunary advantage under the cons are called these days to fix that. If they find a leak you only have yourself to blame for making waves. You don't seem to have more proof of a leak than the symptoms of tinitis.

If the situation is causing low pressure the fault may still be in the supply. One thing for sure is that the leaking taps have nothing to do with the pipes they fit on. That is most likely due to their seats being worn. More especially if they are grinding on detritus not H2O.

If you are an illegal immigrant with no husband and 25 kids they will be around in a flash to fix it whatever the problem. If you are an elderly war hero with a VC and 25 campaign medals, forget it.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

I discovered a leak years ago in my old house, when it was quiet I could hear a definite hiss.Suggest you make sure everything to do with your water supply is turned off then go to any pipes outside (near the stopcocks?) you can get at, hold one end of a wooden or metal rod to your ear and place the other end on the pipe, you should be able to hear if any water is running. My leak was caused by a lead pipe settling over a brick and splitting.

Reply to
Mortimer

In message , mich writes

Just a thought, if the hole in the pipe was big enough to let gravel in then it would be letting an awful lot of water out. You would probably have spotted it by now. More likely a repair was done sometime in the past and the gravel entered the system then.

Reply to
Bill