Water leaking from Baxi Solo 2 boiler - heat exchanger? DIY?

Okay, the last few weeks has been pretty grim on the Central-Heating front, with violent banging, system drain-downs, radiator purges, chemical top-ups etc.

Finally, today, noticed water dripping from the boiler housing. Removed the outer casing and the water is coming from the combustion chamber.

I'm pretty convinced that this can only be a perforated heat-exchanger, which for a ten-year old boiler I'm guessing is pretty terminal?

Interestingly, this only happens when the boiler is off... maybe the leak is evaporating within the boiler when running?, or maybe the leak only manifests itself when the boiler is cooler (expansion, and the like)

Questions:

Can the heat-exchanger be economically replaced? (anyone know of a stockist)

Can this be considered a DIY job?

Is this likely a replacement boiler job?

if so... anyone know of a physically similar boiler to a Baxi Solo 2

40PF that could be mounted in the same 60cm cupboard?

Hmmm... just what I needed...

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I used them for a spare for my Baxi Solo 3 last week. Very impressed. Next day delivery for =A32.99, and their price was way cheaper than I could buy locally.

You might have to give them a call if you're not sure what the part number is - but they're very helpful on the phone.=20

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

If my reading of

is correct, Baxi will fix it for 300 quid. Don't know whether you consider that 'economical' or not.

Or you may be able to buy just the heat exchanger (Part # 364932) from

- but there are no prices on their site, so I don't know what the price would be. Also, I don't know whether it's D-I-Y-able - it would certainly require a major dismanting of the boiler.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'd jump at the chance to repair for £300, tbh.

However, t&cs....

"If your Appliance is deemed beyond economic repair, we may, and entirely at our discretion, offer to supply you with a quotation for a discounted replacement or equivalent replacement Appliance."

They'll take one look, "yer heat exchangers had it, mate..." etc. etc.

Okay, thanks for the information... the part number is useful, and was excluded fromthe servicing manual.

Off to google a bit :0

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd