Water Heating Question

I'm not so sure about the last point.

Apparently, with modern machines hot and cold fill are a waste of time because the machines use so little water.

In many cases, by the time the demand boiler has got up to temperature or the water had travelled the length of the pipe from an upstairs immersion heater the machine has finished filling. A modern machine will only use a few litres of water.

You end up heating the boiler and pipework, but not the water in the washing machine.

Graham

Reply to
graham

That is one hell of a pipe run to contain 2 to 3 litres of water.

Who washes in hot water straight from the tap? if its sat at t supply

  • (pathetic delta t from a combi) then you might be right.

Most civilised households have a huge store of 70 deg C water which can be mixed with cold water to a whole range of temperatures. Amazingly it can also fill a bath in literally minutes.

Reply to
Matt

Where do you think the dishwasher is? ;-)

Reply to
Matt

message

You have just made all that up.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

How big is your place on the sink estate?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You have a secondary circulation pump, that gives instant hot water at the taps.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

My other half used to work in an electrical shop. They always recommended that customers use a Y adaptor and cold fill only.

Graham

Reply to
graham

I know what you mean. You just can't get the staff these days - Woolworth's girls.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Shouldn't you be concerned their knowledge obviously exceeds yours, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is a concern I will never have. Boy is this one senile.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It's certainly the case that you're never concerned by other's knowledge exceeding yours.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not the case in this field.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Dishwashers can use a hot rinse for 'residual heat' drying, my DW specifies a max inlet temp of 65C so I expect it can be used on a hot or cold supply.

Also DW detergents don't contain enzymes like WM detergents do, so higher water temps can only give better cleaning efficiency.

With DHW recirculation and solar hot water heating a hot fill would be very useful, could save up to 1MWh (megawatt hour) over a 7 year lifespan of a dishwasher, which should average out at about £100 the way leccy prices are going.

Or if living 'off the grid' then using a hot fill could cut down on the need for expensive generated electriciy.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C