Water hardness

Hi all. Just installed a dishwasher. I checked the Northern Utilities web site for our water quality data and it gives these figures. Hardness level very soft Hardness Clarkes 2.625 ° Clarke Hardness 15 mg Ca/l

I am hoping the top one is the one to concern me. So if the top one is what the dishwasher manual is referring to should I forget about the d/washer salt?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur2

I'm surprised it doesn't tell you in the manual, but according to mine anything below 8.5 degrees clarke(british) doesn't need salt, so you should be fine.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Most dishwashers will have a control that lets you tell it how hard the water is. It will then soften accordingly. I would still add salt since the ion exchange water softener may be be damaged if used without any saline to allow it to regenerate from time to time - even if that is very infrequently. The user handbook ought to offer some guidance on this along with an appropriate setting for the softener control.

Reply to
John Rumm

The figures of 15mg Ca/l and the Clark figure correlate and this would be very soft water. You could forget about adding salt to the dishwasher if you wanted.

If you are drinking tap water, are you watching dietary calcium? Some (but not all) medical studies indicate a lower incidence of heart disease in hard water areas.

Reply to
Andy Hall

According to the Northumbrian Water website, you are supposed to consult the company if you propose to install a softener.

My supply is "moderately hard" at 15 deg Clark ... Oddly, most of the supply is from a river (or so I was told once).

Hard water is reputed to make a nicer cup of tea!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The water here in Manchester is notoriously soft. That doesn't seem to affect the quantity of dishwasher salt and iron descaler products in the Supermarket shelves.

-- Graham. %Profound_observation%

Reply to
Graham.

The power of marketing over the power of education.

Reply to
Aidan Karley