Water flow problem bypass

I have got a problem with water flow into the downstars toilet and shower.

The stopcock is fully open and I get about 10 litres/min in from the other taps.

The toilet and shower get a lower water flow down to about 2.8 litres/min - naturally this plays havoc with the electric shower

The kitchen (next door) acheives 10 litres/min. Is it acceptable to plumb in a pipe from the kitchen over to the downstairs toilet/shower feed? and keep the connection to the exisiting feed.

This should then allow the downstair toilet/sink/shower to get water at an acceptable rate from the kitchen & the orig feed pipe - i.e this will have two routes to the incomming supply pipe? - naturally the easiest route will be taken by the water automatically.

Is this OK?

Reply to
Neil

10 lpm is very low. It sounds like you may have low pressure. It is possible that the toilet valve has a flow restrictor. The shower will certainly restrict flow compared to a kitchen tap. You may find the problem is low pressure, rather than dodgy pipework. You may need to install tanks, or upgrade your mains to improve things.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

litres/min -

I know - but it is better than the 2.8lts/min I am getting in the downstair sink (in the toilet which feeds the shower)

Pressure seems OK - according to the Combi boiler gauge connected to the kitchen tap which can go up to over 3bar (before releasing the excess pressure)

certainly restrict flow compared to a kitchen tap.

I havent even checked the toilet - The sink tap only gives out 2.8ltrs (the hot running of the combi is giving out about 8 lpm in the same sink!)

i suspect that there is also a problem with the supply - and replacing the stop tap will improve the flow (rather than pressure) slightly but this is awkward.

As I have got flow (to a reasonable degree) on the other taps there appears to be a specific reason why this one tap (one 15mm pipe supplying cistern, tap, and shower) can acheive more the 2.8lpm where the stopcock/mains can supply at least 10lpm - hence the intention to bypass this feed - and then deal with the stopcock is nessesary?

Reply to
Neil

The real solution is to get the mains sorted out from the road. Then have the internal pipes uprated too.

Reply to
IMM

Agreed. Problem is that it is a rented out and there is no chance that the landlord will replace the stopcock or supply pipe (i.e there is water)

Am willing to do a bit of plumbing (add a bypass and new stopcock) - but not dig up the drive myself!

Reply to
Neil

litres/min -

Sounds O.K. in principle - if it is all mains water then no problem. Best to check that you are not getting a tank feed at this point, although connecting an electric shower to a tank feed would be dumb by the original installer. I note you are in rented property and using a combi boiler so there shouldn't be a tank - is this a seperate property or is there a possibility that another tenant could be sharing some of your pipework?

I would suggest that you connect in the new feed, but with a full bore isolating valve. Open the valve, and listen to ensure that water is not flowing (as it would if you had connected into a tank feed - water going back up to the tank then overflowing). If it is all mains but with a dodgy feed to the bathroom, this is likely to improve things.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts