Water Filter Opinions

I was clearing out some stuff tonight and found a Water Filter Jug and a number of the cartridges that it uses .I stopped using it once the novelty had worn off but it got me thinking about the inline filters that you can get to fit in to the drinking water supply . Has anyone got one and would they recommend one . I see them on Ebay ansd they are not particularly expensive . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

|!I was clearing out some stuff tonight and found a Water Filter Jug and |!a number of the cartridges that it uses .I stopped using it once the |!novelty had worn off but it got me thinking about the inline filters |!that you can get to fit in to the drinking water supply . |!Has anyone got one and would they recommend one . I see them on Ebay |!ansd they are not particularly expensive .

Both jugs and filters are now dirt cheap, freecycle or bin the lot.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Had a water filter on the incoming supply for about 4 years. Feeds a little tap which we use to fill stuff for drinking. I can tell the difference between "tap" water and the water from the filtered on in as much as there is *no* taint to it whatsoever. Less scale and no scum on the drinks. SE London/ NW Kent...Fairly hard water area.

Did you actually read what I was asking ? :-)

Reply to
Stuart B

Why do you want a filter? There are many kinds and they have different results.

Reply to
dennis

Perhaps you meant to post; -

I'm thinking about the inline filters that you can get to fit in to the drinking water supply Has anyone got one and would they recommend one .

See; with the unnecessary _noise_ about you clearing stuff out and the following _noise_ about your reading of Ebay ... it's more clear what you are asking people to read and reply to.

HTH

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The cheap ones are a direct replacement for the jug. Thats what I've got and its main advantages are that the filter only needs changing twice a year and it doesnt have a tendency to turn green

When the refit of my kitchen happens I think I will be tempted by a slightly more upmarket filter which has a better flow rate. I'll probably buy it from

I had a problem with my current filter (bought from Screwfix) and spoke to the Fountain Filters man on the phone. He kindly talked me through how to fix my problem when he could easily have just sold me an expensive 'solution'

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Basically to get rid of all the foul tasting shit that's in the water

.It tastes awful so if I want water to drink I use bottled water but I'm sure it must affect the taste of tea as well.

Is the fitting the same and the cartridges are for different purposes .is that how it works .?

Reply to
Stuart B

The crap tasting water around here tastes a lot better after it's been put in a plain jug and kept cold in the fridge, worth trying before you fork out for that "fits nicely in the fridge" filtering jug.

/john

Reply to
John Kenyon

Most of the plumbed in ones will do the same sort of thing - what varies is the effectiveness. All of them will improve the aesthetics of the water (taste, smell etc) and filter out particulates. The better ones will also remove other understandable compounds like VOCs, chlorine etc. The top end ones that use UV light will also sterilise and kill most bacteria (although to be fair even the better solid compressed block carbon filter ones will take out e.coli, cysts, cryptosperidium etc).

Reply to
John Rumm

we brought the kit they sell in screwfix and I think there is a difference not really too noticeable when drinking the water but if using the water in tea or coffee I think its much better.

Reply to
Dwayne & Angela

I had a look at the site link someone posted earlier and found iy very useful

Stuart B

I did. We used to have one (it was fitted when we bought the house.) Once the filter reached its "replace by" date, I disconnected the whole thing and threw it away. The mains supply is perfectly potable. If you want to improve the flavour keep a jug full in the frig overnight.

Reply to
Huge

I fitted a Pozzani IX250 filter with separate tap about 5 years ago. Our water is very variable in pleasantness to drink, mostly chlorine. Worked very well, cost then I believe about £70. Have just looked at their web site now £54!

We have had our kitchen rebuilt in the past month and have had an Ideal Standard ClearTap installed. Means only one tap but expensive, excellent performance though.

David

Reply to
Adagio